Do the isms and Racism Bother You?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

John V55
Top Contributor

Do the isms and Racism Bother You?

Unread post by John V55 »

I’m from a generation that came before the isms and yes, it did exist. It wasn’t an apocalypse, in fact I prefer it to the current era where everyone is forced to think alike and agree, whilst making gestures like the toy nodding dogs with their heads bobbing up and down on a spring.

In those days, there was no such thing as equality because millennia had already proved we’re all different. Making fun of those differences is what comedians did and everybody laughed not out of hate, but because those differences were visible.

I still find it hard to keep a straight face when I see a young white man with his trouser bottoms around his knees trying to pretend he’s an African ghetto ‘bro’, as I do at an Asia girl whitening her skin to try and pretend she’s European. Political correctness says I shouldn’t, but I do.

Racism: A dislike based on skin colour or ethnicity? I think that disappeared some time ago and people now look at behaviour represented in sub-cultures. But that too is now seen as an attack on individualism – another ism. I personally don’t mind if people are racist; thinking like that is one thing, but putting it into practice is another. If someone chooses to be racist by choice and wants to think like that I’m OK with that and you?
Vagabond
Top Contributor

Re: Do the isms and Racism Bother You?

Unread post by Vagabond »

I don't think anyone over 40 years of age can or will argue with you John. You are right on the money with your comments. I would much prefer to live in FREEDOM and actually have the the right to be a moron, a racist, or an ignorant fool with the freedom of speech to prove it, than hammered to conform to this crazy "wokeness" where even Dr. Seuss is being censored by a political minority of intellectual misfits. Without a doubt a Chinese-style Cultural Revolution is now being imposed on us at every level. Shamefully and despicably our children are being politically indoctrinated to be ashamed of themselves for the racism that took place over 200 years ago. Enough is enough. As teachers we must be guardians of the freedom to explore and learn any and everything our children want and need to learn to be complete and competitive human beings that does not center around and specific ism.

Do you realize that government, civics, and even the Bill of rights is no longer being taught in American schools, but it have be replaced with "racial awareness" that does not teach racial equality, but racial shame. It truly infuriates me because our children are being programmed not to be impartial, but to favor one race over another.

The most unfortunate thing is that youngsters today under 40 can't miss what they never saw, life where government officials were actually government servants tuned into what WE THE PEOPLE wanted, disdained, and then represented us accordingly. Today those "public servants" quickly trash that title and decide our will for us. Today's kids will never see a "public hearing" or a "public referendum". They have been intimidated to conform and became so politically correct that free thought is now almost banned! A nation of WE THE PEOPLE has been programmed to become a nation of obedient and passive citizens that can truly be called WE THE SHEEPLE. Again, we teachers can make a huge difference if we unite and push back against this current indoctrination. Those of us luck enough to teach in China saw with our own eyes the final product of such indoctrination - robotic kids afraid to think for themselves, afraid to challenge or question anything, and the suppressed urge to create anything new, that MIGHT cause a debate or an argument. FREEDOM TO LEARN and FREEDOM OF SPEECH and FREEDOM TO CREATE for people of every color and creed must prevail imo. Thanks for raising this topic John. I think only teachers can stop the madness.
Before taking any teaching job in China make a quick visit over to https://reddit.com/r/ChinaScamCentral and https://reddit.com/r/TEFLreviews so your dream job does not become a nightmare.
John V55
Top Contributor

Re: Do the isms and Racism Bother You?

Unread post by John V55 »

Until recently, a teacher’s job was to provide information which the student listened to and dutifully repeated by the whole class in rote fashion. At exam time the task of the student was to write down what they’d been told. If they forgot and gave the wrong answers they’d fail the exam and be told, ‘You should have listened to your teacher.’
That system still exists throughout Asia, although they are trying to introduce critical thinking in small doses because they’ve realised that entrepreneurs don’t invent stuff and make scientific advances because they simply listened to their teachers. Rinse and repeat.

We can all remember the lesson we had in school of building a town. This is where we’ll put the hospital and over here the shops … Which is alien to the Chinese student as the state will decide that for them and they’re not required to know why. Conversely, here’s where we’ll put the fire station followed by, in the town itself and not on the outskirts because fires are more likely to start in populated areas and the firemen can get to them more quickly. What we call logic or critical theory is an alien concept to Chinese students.

Chinese students are told what’s happening in the world, but not why and it’s the ‘why’ they’re looking for. It’s difficult for the teacher to explain, because outside the west trying to defend the individualism of why half-naked men walk down a street waving rainbow coloured flags, or the government allow recreational drugs which harm society comes across as nonsense. In fact, teaching in a state school, the foreign teacher will be under a political officer who will vet their lesson plans for subversive content.

The younger teachers, those who have been through the ‘I believe in nothing and am tolerant of everything’ western education system will have the hardest time, because outside the west they’ll have to explain why they’re promoting social anarchy and chaos in an authoritarian and traditionally conservative society. Equality, diversity, inclusiveness, open borders, homosexual ‘marriages’ … Is something you need to leave behind outside the west.