Games to build vocabularies and boost creativity of your primary students

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Cricket
Top Contributor

Games to build vocabularies and boost creativity of your primary students

Unread post by Cricket »

I am going to share one of my favorite class games with you... It's called "Once upon a time..." Take your baseball hat and cut up 150 pieces of paper and write an equal number of nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs on them using words already known to your students. Then on the blackboard, write out 10 new words, crumple up all the papers and put them in your hat.

When class begins start off with an appropriate joke to put them in a good mood. Now introduce them to the new words with their pronunciation, meaning, and use in a sentence. Let them all take a turn doing the same thing. Now let all of your students take one paper in turn from the hat until they are all gone.

Now tell your students that they must secretly choose 3 of the ten new words on the board and use them along with the random words they took from the hat and prepare a story that begins with "Once upon a time"... and uses all of the words and any others they like to either write out or verbally tell a story that makes sense.

After everyone takes a turn to tell their story, be sure to praise them all but ask the students to pick the "most interesting", "most humorous" and "most creative" story. Let them vote and give the winners some prize. I normally use comic or puzzle books, or some candies as prizes. My students love this game. Give it a go and see what you think.
Before sending off your resume or passport scan, be sure to check https://reddit.com/r/teflscams and to vaccinate yourself against foreign teacher job scams.
PALewis8

Re: Games to build vocabularies and boost creativity of your primary students

Unread post by PALewis8 »

Just for context, what is the age range and proficiency level(s) of your students?