Picking a TEFL course with an English Degree

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Naruto

Picking a TEFL course with an English Degree

Unread post by Naruto »

HI!

I'm considering my options for a TEFL course as I want to travel to Japan to teach. I was considering both 120 hr online courses which include a weekend training course with a teaching practicing module or the CELTA intensive 4 week course. Obviously CELTA is the better qualification. However, I am planning to travel to Asia (i'm not picky what grade I teach and would actually prefer younger kids), I hold a Bachelors degree in English Literature from a recognised college in Dublin, Ireland.On the other hand, I have no formal teaching experience.

I was looking at Iinterac and they employ people who have just done a online TEFL? I am shying away from the CELTA as I'm not sure if I want to pursue teaching abroad as a long term profession, so I was thinking to do the TEFL online, try and get a job, then do the CELTA at a later date if after my first hand experience teaching I can decide whether I want to pursue it further. Or is this a waste of money and time doing an online TEFL where I will end up unable to get a reasonably paid position with a school?

PLEASE HELP! :)
John V55
Top Contributor

Re: Picking a TEFL course with an English Degree

Unread post by John V55 »

If possible, stay clear of online courses as they’re not well regarded. The best place is to get to your destination and do one there. Much cheaper, with the benefit that you’ll be taught by someone who is knowledgeable about the education system you’ll be teaching in and have local contacts. Forget the Celta and Delta, on the other side of the world don’t expect people to be familiar with or impressed by western terms.
An ordinary bog-standard TEFL certificate is enough and it's simply to show the employer that you have at least some rudimentary knowledge.
With no experience, it’s unlikely you’ll be starting in Japan. Start with somewhere like Thailand or Cambodia, get the experience and then move on. :)
Vagabond
Top Contributor

Unread post by Vagabond »

I think you have the right idea OP. That way you know you are getting a legitimate TEFL course with a real certificate and probably college credits for it as well. My little sister did the same thing at the University of Toronto back in 2018. BTW... do you have a list of the universities that offer this option. I will recommend them to everyone so long as they are not online Universities, 99% of which are not accredited. Good luck to you!
Before taking any teaching job in China make a quick visit over to https://reddit.com/r/ChinaScamCentral and https://reddit.com/r/TEFLreviews so your dream job does not become a nightmare.
oneota
Rising Star

Unread post by oneota »

For your own piece of mind and for a better start, get some supervised teaching experience. I would even recommend volunteering a "sheltered" environment, e.g., in your home community at a church or an NGO that offers courses. A regular school might have some sort of program for volunteers. Observe, ask questions of effective teachers (preferably ES/FL), and then do some practice teaching with the teacher there to evaluate and, if necessary, help you.