How much to charge ?.

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

John V55
Top Contributor

Re: How much to charge ?.

Unread post by John V55 »

If you’re working for someone, as opposed to being self-employed, I suppose you get the rate offered and not what you’d like. To be honest, at a near minimum rate and minus tax and insurance, personally I wouldn’t bother.
Vagabond
Top Contributor

Unread post by Vagabond »

Perhaps you should do some market research in your ten square mile area. You can do this a number of ways but the easiest would be to call your competition posing as a potential new customer and speak in broken English to be believable. Once you have ballpark figures, you may want to offer a lower rate, maybe 10% less since you are the new guy on the block. Once you have established yourself with 10-15 students you can eliminate that 10% discount and then print up some color brochures in Spanish, English, and Chinese language (Easy to do on a tri-fold brochure) and visit all your local community centers in that 10 mile territory and leve them all 100 brochures, that of course will bear your contact info. This is how I would get started if I were you. Good Luck!
Before taking any teaching job in China make a quick visit over to https://reddit.com/r/ChinaScamCentral and https://reddit.com/r/TEFLreviews so your dream job does not become a nightmare.
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

A 150 hour TEFL certificate with no experience does not make someone a ‘professional’, which is why they're offering a minimum wage. I’d be surprised if there are any immigrants out there who have or are willing to spend £15ph on English lessons, which is why they’re externally funded. If you want to go down that route, take the job for 12 months, get the experience and build up a reputation and then ask for more, or take the advice of Vagabond. Your competitor of course will be the local authority who will always do it cheaper than you can.