TEFL jobs with no bachelors degree?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

trinity88

TEFL jobs with no bachelors degree?

Unread post by trinity88 »

Hey there,
My name is Adam, I have spent five years as an outdoor education instructor and a year as an assistant in a Montessori classroom. Although I do have years of experience and hold my TEFL certificate, I do not have a Bachelor's degree. I am reaching out to ask for resources to find a TEFL position in the US without a degree. I would appreciate any resources and/or advice any of my peers have.
Enjoy your day!
Adam
oneota
Rising Star

Re: TEFL jobs with no bachelors degree?

Unread post by oneota »

I would advise you to get a B.A. Teaching is a profession and has professional requirements.

Yes, there are people who can teach well without a degree, just as there are people who can heal you without a medical degree, but as an educational administrator or as a potential patient, I would not take my chances in either case.
Cypher

Unread post by Cypher »

You need a diploma of education
ellevera

Unread post by ellevera »

Hi, check Justlearn. You can teach your native language an earn $6 per 25 mins. Experience and degrees are recommended but not required. This link might help justlearn.com/application/teacher. Best of luck!
AddaLing

Unread post by AddaLing »

I don't know about other countries, but if you want to teach English in China, the TESL certificate is not always a necessary qualification. You can teach in China without a credential if you are a native English speaker with two years of English teaching experience. You must, however, submit a letter of recommendation indicating that you have more than two years of full-time teaching experience.
But for a bachelor degree in China, it is necessary. Because you cannot teach English in China legally, without a degree that has been certified by the government.
Vagabond
Top Contributor

Unread post by Vagabond »

I suggest you review all the legal requirement for China at https://reddit.com/r/ChinaTeachers and at present a 4 year degree is required to teach in a school or training center. However if you get hired in a non-teaching position you will not need that degree. If you are a native English speaker with teaching experience you can easily find private tutoring work in upscale communities if you have good PR skills. Good luck
Before taking any teaching job in China make a quick visit over to https://reddit.com/r/ChinaScamCentral and https://reddit.com/r/TEFLreviews so your dream job does not become a nightmare.
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

Depends where you’re from. A US degree is typically four years, but a UK one is three. You can do private tutoring in China and there’s no shortage of clients, but if you are found to be teaching outside the location stated in your contract and reported you will be arrested.
The click bait above is just the usual multi-click ones and has nothing to do with degrees or private tutoring work.