I have asked before

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

kdammers
Rising Star

Re: I have asked before

Unread post by kdammers » 19 Jun 2020, 18:14

Addendum:

Just because the grammar a NNEST has been taught is the jumble I mentioned does not automatically mean it isn't effective in imparting good English. Likewise, on some points of grammar, just accepting something because "it just is" can be the best way to learn them. According to Krashen, "learning" a language (e.g., by studying grammar) is not the most effective way to become a competent user of a language. I don't fully agree with Krashen on this, especially when we are talking about adult learners, but it is a widely held current view.

TheNightBeak
Rising Star

Unread post by TheNightBeak » 19 Jun 2020, 19:58

kdammers wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 18:08
I don't know if TheNightBeak was addressing me with" If you carry on mindlessly flying the flag for the superiority of native speakers as TEFLers," but the comment is strange if so.
Not you, no. The other fella :)

kdammers wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 18:08
Finally, TheNightBeak ends up saying that s/he would prefer a native Spanish speaker "for reasons [ungiven] that . . . are perfectly obvious." Are these reasons unrelated to learning grammar? If not, what are they, and why don't they negate the alleged superior ability of NNETs to explain grammar rules.
Pronunciation, mostly. And cultural aspects, which aren't of course central to a language lesson but they're usually of interest to the student.

TheNightBeak
Rising Star

Unread post by TheNightBeak » 19 Jun 2020, 19:59

John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 » 21 Jun 2020, 12:28

The ‘other fella’ moved on. I’m a bit too long in the TEFL tooth to get involved in arguments with anonymous Goggled opinions. When I saw, ‘Typically (in my experience) non-native speakers of English have a better grasp of English grammar rules than native speakers’, I smiled and moved on. :)

TheNightBeak
Rising Star

Unread post by TheNightBeak » 21 Jun 2020, 12:41

That's a shame. I was hoping for a more considered response to my thoughts and not irrelevant gibberish about 'citizens of the world' and 'social engineering'.

I suspect you haven't been in the TEFL game for very long, despite your claims. Or your experience is limited to one or two specific geographical areas.

Remember - you're never too old to learn something new :)

John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 » 21 Jun 2020, 23:21

TheNightBeak wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 12:41
That's a shame. I was hoping for a more considered response to my thoughts and not irrelevant gibberish about 'citizens of the world' and 'social engineering'.

I suspect you haven't been in the TEFL game for very long, despite your claims. Or your experience is limited to one or two specific geographical areas.

Remember - you're never too old to learn something new :)
:lol: I was probably old before you were born my dear. Now run along Ms. anonymous and find yourself someone else to play with. :)