A Question About DRUGS

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

MTE1369

A Question About DRUGS

Unread post by MTE1369 » 30 May 2020, 14:50

Maybe I just worked for a DRUG-FREE Employer for too many years, but I would like to know why so many TEFL Teachers (of all ages) seem to think it's ok to "Do" Drugs (Please note, I have not identified any specific country and whilst I could I have named people I have not). I am just curious why so many of you think that its ok to use drugs during the school week and on the weekends, and for the purposes of this question, YES marijuana IS a DRUG.... Have at it, Thanx

John V55
Top Contributor

Re: A Question About DRUGS

Unread post by John V55 » 30 May 2020, 17:24

In my experience it was always the younger ones who did drugs. Old habits die hard and cross borders.

jmczzz

Unread post by jmczzz » 31 May 2020, 12:29

The younger generations (teens and 20 something) are into weed. It has become the norm on most of the planet. That is a fact of life in 2020 and the future. Why has this happened and why will it become more widespread?

John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 » 01 Jun 2020, 10:12

My personal opinion is that it’s a cheap form of escapism, along with alcohol. In western declining economies with increased competition and where status equals financial wealth, escaping reality is often the only option. Conversely, outside the west and especially in the East, drug dependency is seen as a sign of personal weakness and very looked down on with harsh penalties.

jmczzz

Unread post by jmczzz » 01 Jun 2020, 12:55

Agree, Escapism is a major why. A larger question is how far into the future is either a revolution of change or the mass extinction of the human race and the collapse of the planet's ability to sustain life. The top 1% of the wealthy are already planning their escape to a new planet. Evidenced by the search for a livable planet and the capitalist funded Spacex efforts to privatize space travel. Of course, government support is the reason Spacex is possible.

John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 » 01 Jun 2020, 15:06

I wouldn’t worry too much about the ‘extinction rebellion’ crowd, or escaping to other planets … the authoritarianism of progressivism will keep the masses under control and as long there’s a plentiful supply of cheap drugs, alcohol and a diet of ‘reality’ TV shows, the future will resemble pretty much the present.

It’s why I went East, but after a decade was forced to return because of age visa restrictions until I get my state pension, which is next year. I can’t wait to get back. :)

jmczzz

Unread post by jmczzz » 04 Jun 2020, 21:04

I think you miss read my post, I said nothing about the extinction rebellion crowd?
I have been trying to work in Russia, but I am over the acceptable age limit there so I guess I will just sit it out here in my easy chair. jmc