Which Course Books / Text books for a new TEFL teacher

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

ChantellMars

Which Course Books / Text books for a new TEFL teacher

Unread post by ChantellMars »

Good morning.

I have just entered the world of English teach by taking a TEFL course. I love languages and a long time ago I studied French just for the fun and there I discovered my love for language learning and possible teaching.

I am in need of course books that I can use for guidance, at the moment I draw up all my lesson plans as no course book was provide with my study materials to fall back or just get ideas from. I understand that course books are boring but I feel that if I have course books covering for instance A1 to C2 with basic teaching strategies, grammar, and exercises etc I have something to work from as a basic guideline and can add whatever else I want to, to make my lessons more fun and interactive.

I used the Totem French collection text books when I studied French. They have A1 – A2 beginner’s text books, B1 -B2 intermediate text books and then of course the C1 -C2 advance text books that you as a student get when you enrol for your course. I loved those books cause for a student it was fun and interactive. My tutor had a teachers guide which went with my books and guided him what to teach me while I was using my text books.

So in other words I am looking for a complete teachers guide covering A1 to C2 text book or books that has all the basics in, in order to complete each CEF level and a student’s work book and perhaps an exercise book if exercises are not in the student’s text book.

I have been looking at the Cambridge site where they offer the Touchstone series, but I don’t just want to buy the first thing I see. Instead I thought it best to contact actual teachers who have experience in the field of teaching to hear what text book they recommend and are using.

Any advice and recommendations will be greatly appreciated,

Kind regards

Chantelle
odyssey
Rising Star

Re: Which Course Books / Text books for a new TEFL teacher

Unread post by odyssey »

Not a book as such but a very useful tool that should be in every TEFL teacher's toolkit: the WORD UP board game for English learners at:
https://www.englishclub.com/store/produ ... -esl-game/
and a classroom pack
https://www.englishclub.com/store/produ ... e-schools/

You'll never be lost with one of those - it covers all levels/ages.
ChantellMars

Unread post by ChantellMars »

Thank you
elsatom87

Unread post by elsatom87 »

There are many TEFL books are available on
discounted coupons at Grab the Coupons, I also bought few books from there, if you need to buy go and search there.