am I too old?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

COLIN
Rising Star

Re: am I too old?

Unread post by COLIN » 18 Nov 2019, 20:18

Quite a good suggestion.
It is not the age that does the job, but know how and technique which is totally independent of age.
And who would dare to enact such a law? The collude of the oligopoly is always stronger than the scattered group of silent teachers. There is hardly anyone to stand up and defend a just cause, with fear of poking their nose into someone else`s business. But the day is nigh when they will have to feel it on their own skin. So all I can say for now is - good tidings.

MTE1369

Unread post by MTE1369 » 23 Nov 2019, 15:30

My experience is that the industry, in general, is extremely ageist, it is easy to research maximum teaching ages in any given country with a simple google search, if you are looking for work on your own, its pretty easy to find, but most of the "Tefl Companies" (some advertising here on TEFL.net) have arbitrary (illegal) age cutoffs well below the law in the applicable countries, when they advertise jobs and programs, and when you question it they will either block you or say they are simply meeting their customers "requirements" and that EU Equal Opportunity Laws are not applicable. But there is work out for "Oldsters" and many schools and companies actually prefer to hire us. Good Luck

pasqual

Unread post by pasqual » 24 Nov 2019, 16:37

Under EU law it is illegal for any recruiter to discriminate on age. This includes age preference in recruitment ads for ALL websites that are accessible in the European Union (yes, that includes ESLcafe, seriousteachers and a host of other non-EU sites that can be accessed in the EU). I note that tefl.com seldom includes age in their ads, the only age limit I have seen is where it is a government regulation of the host country for the work visa.

COLIN
Rising Star

Unread post by COLIN » 24 Nov 2019, 17:20

That is very good light being shone on the topic guys, thanks.
That puts EU as one of the most just places to work with rational ensured laws. What a pity that we cannot say the same about other massive contractors on the other side of the globe with democratic eruptions in their backyard.

DanielLee888

Re: am I too old

Unread post by DanielLee888 » 15 Jan 2020, 15:32

Joe wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 06:45
There are lots of people over 46 teaching English as a foreign language all over the world, both offline and on. Some countries make it more difficult to get employed after 50 or 60, but it's far from impossible.
absolutely agree

COLIN
Rising Star

Unread post by COLIN » 16 Jan 2020, 20:53

Quite nice. Cheers. Good to hear some positive news on the topic at last.

kdammers

Unread post by kdammers » 19 Jan 2020, 06:49

Re: post by pasqual » 24 Nov 2019, 16:37
"Under EU law it is illegal for any recruiter to discriminate on age. ... [T]he only age limit I have seen is where it is a government regulation of the host country for the work visa."

So, EU countries can and do practice age discrimination, but EU recruiters can't.

That almost makes it worse: recruiters are not allowed to tell you that you're too old even though the government will say you are when you apply for a visa.

By the way, about fifteen years ago, Germany had age limits for work, not (just?) for visas. I have a German work visa that appears to still be valid, but both formal and informal restrictions probably would make it nigh on impossible for me to work there -- at least in a government school.

marceltr

Unread post by marceltr » 24 Jan 2020, 14:21

You are great. Really. My white envy for you.

gargdev

Unread post by gargdev » Yesterday, 12:01

Age is not the determinant and yes can do anything anything at this age. HIT IT BANG ON. :D