To turn email notifications ON or OFF go to [Username] > User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit notification options

Help with my Assignment

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Yoliswat

Help with my Assignment

Unread post by Yoliswat » 11 Jul 2018, 17:04

Hi

I’m struggling with my TEFL assignment , required to create a 60 minute reading lesson plan using provided reading text on The Inuit topic. I am teaching young adults aged 18- 24. Need to include a communicative speaking activity to follow the reading.

Anth444

Re: Help with my Assignment

Unread post by Anth444 » 13 Jul 2018, 13:13

Hi,

how are you getting on with this, I have just started the same assignment, and I'm a little lost.

Ant

Yoliswat

Unread post by Yoliswat » 15 Jul 2018, 13:11

My information is all over the place....I’ve started selecting the words and phrases that I’m going to teach in context of the reading text. Next step will be the activities they will do. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh I think I keep changing my mind about what I’m expected to do.

Anth444

Unread post by Anth444 » 16 Jul 2018, 17:48

Well this does feel like a very similar situation to myself, I've had to take a few days off. I'm hoping to have a fresh look soon. I was slightly concerned by the fact that we are not given an aim or objective for the lesson. I have now decided that this is a good thing as it leaves a lot of room for what ever kind of lesson we plan. I feel like after working through the online course in what I thought was a successful way - the first assignment is quite a challenge. I haven't studied in a long time , so we'll see

Yoliswat

Unread post by Yoliswat » 04 Aug 2018, 05:21

We are actually on the same boat, I haven’t studied for a long time too. I’ve now decided to consult the online tutors to direct me.

claudia3813

Unread post by claudia3813 » 19 Dec 2018, 21:47

How did you two get on? I am having the same issue. I've been staring at this assignment for two months. I have contacted student support who were not helpful at all. Any help would be so appreciated :(

LeraorVa

Unread post by LeraorVa » 24 Jan 2019, 09:41

For all people who use sites that help with studying I recommend to read an article - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... al-damage/ that tells us about the fact that india bans homework services!

SDLewandoski

Unread post by SDLewandoski » 11 Feb 2019, 00:20

Hey guys!
I am currently at this stage and am completely overwhelmed/lost I'm not knowing where to start or how to go about this!
I've taken this course very seriously and have finally completed all the courses but left the assignments to last (regretfully.)
I have done the pre-reading and re looked at all the units mentioned to help.
Can I please use your guidance on how to get started and what to do in order to get the grades I need.
Thank you so much for your time!

Krombach

Unread post by Krombach » 18 Feb 2019, 21:47

Hey,

I'm also having some problems with this assignment. I struggle to find a proper Lead-in activity which somehow involves the Inuit as a topic without having to teach any new vocabulary yet.

mollyjeanne

Unread post by mollyjeanne » 12 Mar 2019, 13:48

Hey! I'm in the same boat also. I started the TEFL course in January (I too raced through the whole course before the assignments!) only because the first one is so tricky! I've been staring at it for months now. I understand the concept, but putting it together doesn't make a lot of sense to me? Urgh, need help!

SDLewandoski

Unread post by SDLewandoski » 16 Mar 2019, 03:45

I’m literally the same as what you’ve done!! It’s been a month and I’m still struggling with the assignment losing hope

Squash

Unread post by Squash » 31 Mar 2019, 18:55

Hi all, Please can I get some help with a lesson.

Vocabulary Teaching Table showing 12 items you would pre-teach
Lesson plan
Materials Copies of all materials you would give or show the students (worksheets, visuals etc.).
Teacher language in which you give word for word the language you could use for
a) presenting 3 of your selected vocabulary items, including concept check questions.
b) instructions for ONE of your planned reading comprehension tasks, either the 1st (scanning or skimming task), or the 2nd (detailed comprehension task).
Bibliography

My class is a monolingual class of 18 upper-intermediate (B2) students, They are young adults aged 18-24.

What made me the way I am?
In our regular column inviting contributors to reflect on how their past has affected their current life, award-winning documentary maker, Summer Avery, reflects on how her family history influenced her choice of career.
My parents came from totally different backgrounds. My dad, Dave, comes from a mining village in Yorkshire. For generations, all the boys in his family went down the pit and that's what dad was going to do, too. But in the 1980s they started closing down the mines and suddenly there was no work for young men like my dad. My mum, Lucy, came from a very different family. Her father was a diplomat, Mum went to boarding school because her parents lived abroad. They expected her to go to Oxford or Cambridge University and then do an important job, but she was a rebellious girl.
The early 1980s in the UK was a time of great change. Big industries were closing down and people from communities like my dad's were losing their jobs and their hope. But in other places, new enterprises were starting up and some people were getting very rich very quickly.
These changes led to political protests and some people rejected mainstream lifestyles altogether. Among those people were the 'New Age Travellers.' They lived in old lorries and buses and traveled from one music festival to another. These lorries and buses used to travel together in convoys and they were unpopular with many people. The police kept breaking up the convoys and closing down the festivals. The travelers kept regrouping and planning more festivals. There used to be a very popular free festival at Stonehenge* on Summer Solstice*. In 1985, the Travellers were determined to hold this festival and huge numbers joined the convoys. Two of the people who went to join the peace convoy were my mum, who had decided to run away from school and my dad, who had decided to escape unemployment by going on the road. That is where they met - when they were arrested at Stonehenge! It's funny to think that they would never have met if they hadn't gone to that festival.
They were only seventeen years old. I was born exactly one year later on Summer Solstice 1986 – that's why they called me Summer. Both families were really shocked and disappointed. I didn't even meet my grandparents until I was seven. When I was little we traveled around Europe in an old double-decker bus. My dad's a talented musician and my mum was good at gymnastics, so they joined this strange alternative circus called 'Anarkurkus'. There were no animals or any of the usual circus things – just human performers doing really crazy things.
I didn't have a very conventional way of life as a child. I didn't go to school. We never ate meat. We went to lots of music festivals and political demonstrations. I learned a lot about being an outsider. In some places, people were really hostile. There was no need for this; everyone in our circus was very gentle and very honest. People are just afraid of difference. I'm sure it is this early experience that made me interested in how society treats minority groups. I doubt I'd be so interested in social exclusion if I hadn't experienced it. It has been the subject of all my films.
When I was seven my dad got news that his mother was seriously ill. They returned to the UK and made peace with their families. We lived in a house and I went to school. I was really excited to have my own bedroom and eat normal food like cornflakes at my cousin's houses. When I started school I could read and juggle much better than the other kids – and my knowledge of European geography was way ahead of theirs! I'm sure I wouldn't have known so much at that age if my parents had been more conventional.

*Stonehenge is a 5,000 year old monument in southern England. Summer Solstice (21st June) is the longest day of year in the northern hemisphere. On the Summer Solstice the sun is aligned with the stones so that light shines through the arches at dawn. Druids still go to Stonehenge on 21st June to celebrate the summer solstice.

kucils69

Unread post by kucils69 » 06 Apr 2019, 09:42

Hey did you get some help with this assignment ? I have same topic

Squash wrote:
31 Mar 2019, 18:55

Lesson plan
Materials Copies of all materials you would give or show the students (worksheets, visuals etc.).
a) presenting 3 of your selected vocabulary items, including concept check questions.
b) instructions for ONE of your planned reading comprehension tasks, either the 1st (scanning or skimming task), or the 2nd (detailed comprehension task).
Bibliography

My class is a monolingual class of 18 upper-intermediate (B2) students, They are young adults aged 18-24.

In our regular column inviting contributors to reflect on how their past has affected their current life, award-winning documentary maker, Summer Avery, reflects on how her family history influenced her choice of career.
My parents came from totally different backgrounds. My dad, Dave, comes from a mining village in Yorkshire. For generations, all the boys in his family went down the pit and that's what dad was going to do, too. But in the 1980s they started closing down the mines and suddenly there was no work for young men like my dad. My mum, Lucy, came from a very different family. Her father was a diplomat, Mum went to boarding school because her parents lived abroad. They expected her to go to Oxford or Cambridge University and then do an important job, but she was a rebellious girl.
The early 1980s in the UK was a time of great change. Big industries were closing down and people from communities like my dad's were losing their jobs and their hope. But in other places, new enterprises were starting up and some people were getting very rich very quickly.
These changes led to political protests and some people rejected mainstream lifestyles altogether. Among those people were the 'New Age Travellers.' They lived in old lorries and buses and traveled from one music festival to another. These lorries and buses used to travel together in convoys and they were unpopular with many people. The police kept breaking up the convoys and closing down the festivals. The travelers kept regrouping and planning more festivals. There used to be a very popular free festival at Stonehenge* on Summer Solstice*. In 1985, the Travellers were determined to hold this festival and huge numbers joined the convoys. Two of the people who went to join the peace convoy were my mum, who had decided to run away from school and my dad, who had decided to escape unemployment by going on the road. That is where they met - when they were arrested at Stonehenge! It's funny to think that they would never have met if they hadn't gone to that festival.
They were only seventeen years old. I was born exactly one year later on Summer Solstice 1986 – that's why they called me Summer. Both families were really shocked and disappointed. I didn't even meet my grandparents until I was seven. When I was little we traveled around Europe in an old double-decker bus. My dad's a talented musician and my mum was good at gymnastics, so they joined this strange alternative circus called 'Anarkurkus'. There were no animals or any of the usual circus things – just human performers doing really crazy things.
I didn't have a very conventional way of life as a child. I didn't go to school. We never ate meat. We went to lots of music festivals and political demonstrations. I learned a lot about being an outsider. In some places, people were really hostile. There was no need for this; everyone in our circus was very gentle and very honest. People are just afraid of difference. I'm sure it is this early experience that made me interested in how society treats minority groups. I doubt I'd be so interested in social exclusion if I hadn't experienced it. It has been the subject of all my films.
When I was seven my dad got news that his mother was seriously ill. They returned to the UK and made peace with their families. We lived in a house and I went to school. I was really excited to have my own bedroom and eat normal food like cornflakes at my cousin's houses. When I started school I could read and juggle much better than the other kids – and my knowledge of European geography was way ahead of theirs! I'm sure I wouldn't have known so much at that age if my parents had been more conventional.

*Stonehenge is a 5,000 year old monument in southern England. Summer Solstice (21st June) is the longest day of year in the northern hemisphere. On the Summer Solstice the sun is aligned with the stones so that light shines through the arches at dawn. Druids still go to Stonehenge on 21st June to celebrate the summer solstice.

Squash

Unread post by Squash » 07 Apr 2019, 10:31

Hi again, I am still looking for assistance. Once I have something I am happy to share if you can do the same by sharing with me would be great.
Look forward to your reply

kucils69

Unread post by kucils69 » 07 Apr 2019, 11:36

Hi thanks for the reply well seems we need to do by ourself lol

GS92

Unread post by GS92 » 08 Apr 2019, 10:47

Squash wrote:

Lesson plan
Bibliography

Hey!

I have the same assignment and I'm also struggling with it...

Do you know what they mean by "You do not need to include the footnote as part of the text the students would look at – you may prefer to explain this in a different way."? Does that mean we need to explain Stonehenge and Summer Solstice? It's confusing!

The part I'm struggling with the most is selecting the vocabulary to pre-teach. They gave some examples of phrases (way of life, lose one's job), are you planning to pre-teach these? I'm unsure whether they are suitable for a B2 class.

Any help would be appreciated!

Squash

Unread post by Squash » 08 Apr 2019, 17:08

Hi please mail me on jhanlangley@gmail.com. We can help each other out

Essence

Re: Help with my Assignment, Did you get some help, if you have can forward it , please! Thanks

Unread post by Essence » 09 Apr 2019, 15:27

kucils69 wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 09:42
Hey did you get some help with this assignment ? I have same topic

Squash wrote:

Lesson plan
Bibliography

susan4310

Unread post by susan4310 » 30 May 2019, 11:24

Hi Squash

I'm currently trying to do this assignment and I'm finding it really tough!!! (understatement). Did you getany help andare you able to give me any pointers please???

Thanks