What are your struggles as a tefl teacher?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

just_jenna

What are your struggles as a tefl teacher?

Unread post by just_jenna »

Hi guys! I'm a new teacher and I was just curious about what you guys struggle with? What are the challenges you face? Feel free to rant about whatever!
I'm trying to prepare myself for the real world of teaching and thought it would be good to know what the struggles are so that I can equip myself a bit better :D
Pikadilly

Re: What are your struggles as a tefl teacher?

Unread post by Pikadilly »

I think for me it would be just lack of patience. I've served as a temp in a few places and loved it but sometimes (Super rare though) it's the lack of patience that kind of gets to me. That said, teaching actually is making me more patient so it's not something I'll be giving up on anytime soon.
IrwinB

Unread post by IrwinB »

Unreasonable parents usually irk me up. But you just have to learn to deal with them I guess. You don't really get those too often though, thankfully.
tortillas

Unread post by tortillas »

For me, RARELY the students. It's usually someone from the administration who gives me a hot coal in the butt! Having said that, it a rare person in the admin who does that either. Maybe two or three times a year. I get angry at some students fairly often, but I certainly don't have grudges or resentments against them, and besides, they know they should not be playing 'golf' on their phone during the lesson. Students by far are the best part of the job.
As far as the administration goes, you will find people who simply do understand the word 'communication' and who only seem capable of criticizing. If you're thick-skinned you're in luck, but if you're overly sensitive and thin-skinned like me, you may end up agonizing over some incident for a week or more.
Remember that the methods and principles being taught in the TEFL world (a very NEW discipline by the way) are by no means the only approach to teaching. In fact, I can almost guarantee that if you make lesson plans for every class and stick to them by the letter you are going to burn out soon. I believe in myself as a teacher and I show confidence. I'm not afraid to experiment, sidetrack, and try things off the top of my head. Some don't like that behavior from a teacher, but I know it's the right thing for me as a teacher, and you have to go with who you know is right.
In Star Trek, one of Kirk's qualifications as 'captain' is good intuition. I suggest as a teacher you also rely on intuition. Your boss may or may not be so happy, but your students will be much more engaged.