Ways to test the waters of TEFL before jumping in?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

devin12

Ways to test the waters of TEFL before jumping in?

Unread post by devin12 »

Hi everyone!

I am a recent graduate with a BSc that is interested in teaching TEFL. However, I have little experience in education and none at all in teaching English. I feel like I would enjoy TEFL, but I fear I might just enjoy the idea of doing such rather than the actual practice. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any methods by which I might be able to try out TEFL and see if I enjoy it before I commit to paying for an associated course and undertaking a long term contract. I have looked through plenty of videos and read plenty of articles/blogs on the subject. Nonetheless, I feel like neither provides a complete picture that I may make a sound judgement concerning whether or not I should pursue this as a career choice. Would it be a good idea to search for short term TEFL contracts? Or is there anying else that someone could recommend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
John V55
Top Contributor

Re: Ways to test the waters of TEFL before jumping in?

Unread post by John V55 »

It’s a sort of difficult one to answer Devin.

Most go abroad to teach and many just sort of fall into it, some succeeding and others failing. Some because they can’t find employment in their own countries, others for political reasons, others for a career change . . . TEFL in Asia for instance is a bit like dropping out. :) I can’t image doing it when I was in my early twenties, but then again the world has changed and for many now it’s an escape from unemployment, a taste of adventure . . .

I too have watched the pantomimes on Youtube and can’t say I’m impressed and even less so with the characters involved. What you were watching in many cases was not TEFL, but a bunch of backpackers bumming around.

All the major cities in the west will now have night school or day classes catering to none English speaking immigrants run by your local education department. Why not go along to one of these, explain what you’re about and ask to sit in on a lesson. Watch the teacher. Is it something you could do? Is it something you’d like to do? What is it like in practice abroad?

http://changemyworld.forumotion.com/t4- ... mongolia#4

I take it you’re in your early twenties then. My advice is that if you want to go into teaching as a career at that age, consider a PGCE if you’re English and don’t waste your time with TEFL.
Grizzly
Rising Star

Unread post by Grizzly »

A good 120 hour TEFL course taught at your local community college would be a good start and give you the confidence you need to get to second base. Avoid the online courses which are garbage. TEFL can be enjoyable or it can be tedious depending on your students and your employer. If you plan to work abroad be sure to do plenty of due diligence at http://reddit.com/r/teflscams. Good luck to you.
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

Oh and another thing Devin, keep away from the spam links going out of sites like this to unions, Reddit and all the rest of them. If you want advice get it from serving teachers, there are plenty on the Internet.