Question about Cambridge DELTA and salary

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

BahramH

Question about Cambridge DELTA and salary

Unread post by BahramH »

Hello all,

I wanted to know if having a DELTA qualification will increase your salary, and approximately by how much/
(in addition to my current university degree + Trinity TESOL and a years' experience)

Does this vary from country to country?

Thank you
John V55
Top Contributor

Re: Question about Cambridge DELTA and salary

Unread post by John V55 »

BahramH wrote:Hello all,

I wanted to know if having a DELTA qualification will increase your salary, and approximately by how much/
(in addition to my current university degree + Trinity TESOL and a years' experience)

Does this vary from country to country?

Thank you
Not to my knowledge in Asia. The TEFL’s and TESOL’s are indications of teaching methods and unless you were in an international school don’t carry any weight, but a PGCE would. I’ve also found that the company name of a TEFL doesn’t carry any weight either, the elitism of Trinity and Cambridge on a certificate, apart from the cost, doesn’t impress foreign recruiters. The emphasis I’ve found is on degree and experience.
footballmad

Re: Question about Cambridge DELTA and salary

Unread post by footballmad »

With a Delta you should be in line for a DoS position, which carries a bit more dosh. The Cambridge Delta is IMO extremely good, but even then it doesn't cover enough - there are many practical and effective teaching techniques it doesn't cover. I always ask my students this question about their English teachers at home "what qualifications does your English teacher have ?" Silence. Not a clue. But that's just an example of how amateur and naïve the TEFL industry is.