Book for new teachers

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Rabbit

Book for new teachers

Unread post by Rabbit »

Hi, anybody suggest a book for new teachers? Basic theory and guidance?

I've been recommended TESOL: A Gateway Guide for Teachers of English by Tom Garside
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: Book for new teachers

Unread post by Briona »

Hi there,

I'd recommend "Learning Teaching" by Jim Scrivener. In the unlikely event that you can't find it, you could try "How to Teach English" by Jeremy Harmer, or "The Practice of English Language Teaching", also by Jeremy Harmer.

It's also worth investing in a good grammar book. My recommendation would be "Grammar for English Language Teachers" by Martin Parrott - it's far more palatable than "Practical English Usage" by Michael Swan. For clear explanations and teaching ideas, I like "Teaching Tenses" by Rosemary Aitken.

Remember that the teacher's books that accompany coursebooks are a useful source of information/ideas/resources. The better ones explain how to set up activities and exploit tasks, while also providing a bank of photocopiable supplementary material.

Hope that helps.

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
Briona
Top Contributor

Unread post by Briona »

Since I can't edit my post, I'll add an addendum here.

I thought it was odd that someone might recommend a completely unknown book by an author that no-one has ever heard of, especially when there are so many great books out there for newbies. However, on the off-chance that your post was genuine, I replied... And then I came across the same post, albeit with a different username, on ESL Base (http://www.eslbase.com/forum/viewtopic/ ... -teachers/) and ESL HQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/ ... ers-70131/) Oh, and on Dave's ESL Café (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=113695), where it didn't take long for you to post a link to a "review" of a well-known and respected author's book that you supposedly just "came across".

A quick Google shows me that Tom Garside's book is very recently-published, and the only offering from a small, vanity publishing company in Hong Kong, the very location that the negative review mentioned above originates from...

Self-promotion is one thing; self-promotion through deceptive means is another one entirely. I would never buy nor recommend a book by someone who (a) lies about who he is, and (b) attempts to discredit hardworking and successful authors. You will never make yourself look good by trying to make others look bad. Over and out.

To anyone looking for books for new teachers, I'd say stick with the greats - Scrivener, Harmer, Richards, etc. They're recommended by TEFL course directors for a reason.
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
andrewberlin

Unread post by andrewberlin »

I would second the Learning Teaching by Jim Scrivener, it's a good overview of the differing methodologies with lots of practical examples. Some of these books can be a bit dry, but this one is very accessible.
Lola212
Rising Star

Unread post by Lola212 »

Thanks for teaching. The Jim Scrivener overview is definitely a good choice.
Lola212
Rising Star

Unread post by Lola212 »

All great reads, I'd look through them all if you could get your hands on some copies. Happy Mother's Day too!
Madilyn

Unread post by Madilyn »

Hello all,
If you're looking for a good English teaching book (also for language proficiency exams) I warmly recommend Jeremy Harmer's The Practice of English Language Teaching. It's a great combination of theory as well as how to apply the methods in a fun and interactive way in the clasroom. It's been around for a while now and many teachers use it.
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

Hello all,

You can also take a look at Lucy Pollard's Guide to Teaching English, available here:

https://www.englishclub.com/store/produ ... g-english/
syaiful

Book for new teachers

Unread post by syaiful »

Hello all,
I have to prepare my teaching practice. So i must to learned how to create a creative learning. Can you give me suggest the books that can help me to design my activity ?
Sciahaxtt

Unread post by Sciahaxtt »

Thanks for recommendation. I like English for Academic Research: A Guide for Teachers by Adrian Wallwork
Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today” - Malcolm X.
K – 12 teaching methods
ESL teaching methodologies