IS 52 TOO OLD to teach?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

nobilius

IS 52 TOO OLD to teach?

Unread post by nobilius »

Hello all
I am a 52 year old male, Irish and a native English speaker. I did my CELTA two years ago in the University of Westminster, London. I then started working in a volunteer centre in India to gain some classroom experience, which I thought was missing from the CELTA. Unfortunately I only did a week before having to return to the UK for family reasons.
I am back in India and I have committed to doing 3 months teaching in the same center. My hope is that this will make up for my gap in teaching since the CELTA and then my intention is to apply for jobs directly afterwards.
My questions are
1. Is 52 too old to realistically begin teaching English?
2. Will 3 months classroom time {using course books etc} make up for the break between my CELTA and applying for jobs?

All answers gratefully received
S
John V55
Top Contributor

Re: IS 52 TOO OLD to teach?

Unread post by John V55 »

1) No, but the older you get the more problems you’ll have.

2) Most countries will ask for a couple of years’ experience, Thailand for instance is an exception and you’d probably be able to squeeze in there to build up experience, or carry on in India? Get a couple of years’ experience and then possibly head for somewhere like China which has a cut off age of 60 for applicants, but once in you get ‘grandfather rights’ as long as your health lasts. I’ve just turned 60 in China and still going strong.
Mike9998nz

Unread post by Mike9998nz »

No it isn't for sure I am 56 and teaching admittedly in sporadic bursts !
Sroka

Unread post by Sroka »

No, definitely no too old. I think it is more dependent on attitude and adapting to new surroundings.
I am also in my 50's and started teaching 3 years ago.

I would also say that experience in the classroom or actually teaching is always valuable.
L.
Mike9998nz

Unread post by Mike9998nz »

No definately not I am 56 years young and teaching!