How can I make my teaching lively?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

annisa_hasan

How can I make my teaching lively?

Unread post by annisa_hasan »

I've become a new teacher in a Christian community hall and teach volunteers from around the world who have volunteered to work there. Anyway, I teach using my own method, so no curriculum in place.

I applied my TEFL teaching techniques and used the Presentation, Practice and Production method, even used games and role plays. They never seem motivated or lively to learn. They are forced to go to these lessons and work 24 hours a week, that could be the case and are tired.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
PMotlhabane

Re: How can I make my teaching lively?

Unread post by PMotlhabane »

The problems I see is not about your teaching techniques but as to whether your people see the need to learn. Until people see the need to learn they will not be motivated to learn no matter the methods used. May be the best you can do is to have an open discussion with them so as to establish whether learning is important to them. And also for them to identify their need to learn, develop a learning attitude and set their learning goals i.e. what they will want to achieve after they have completed the learning programme you are offering.
MarinaA

Unread post by MarinaA »

What PMotlhabane suggests might help a lot.

In my experience, however, I have noticed that when students are engaged in the process they seem to be more active. So as you teach them, allow them to participate, and be active. Also, it is important to bring fun into the classroom, by introducing some games and activities that make studying seem more fun and less work. Ask your students to the board more often, don't just let them sit at their desks. Make them move around the class as they play a new vocabulary game, and act along with them. You don't necessarily need to be in a teacher-student relationship, make it more friendly and relaxed.

Here are some ideas for class activities, and games you can use to make your teaching more lively:
http://teachers.onlineenglishexpert.com/category/tips/teaching-strategies

Hope this helps.
teachnlearn

Unread post by teachnlearn »

It does have a lot to do with mentality and whether they want to learn or feel the need to learn. Before you start though, get to know your class. Have a bunch of icebreakers so you know where they are from, whether they truly feel like they need to learn or not. Ice breakers can be energizers where they run around and laugh (what you will pick depends on the age group of your class) and then have them come together as a group and discuss it then have one person present it. It's also important that the class sits in a circle so that there is no hierarchy of who is superior and who is inferior. Have a movie viewing session (when I was in India recently, we watched 'Mind your Language',a TV show and 'English Vinglish', a movie). And make sure to teach only things that are relevant to their field of work, in this case, it could be conversational English.
deepshika1

Unread post by deepshika1 »

I can share my experience as a student to be honest.
I used to attend exam classes where in the beginning we had a lecturer who took a monotonous pace and literally no interest in students. It is pretty obvious that you are not that kind of a lecturer and you are clearly interested in making your students understand what you are teaching.
Here as far as I can see, the problem is with students. They don't seem to pay attention to your teaching methods which is interactive and lively. Maybe you need to show them how it would feel if you were strict and not at all liberal in class. This way, they will realize that the way you were teaching before is more beneficial for them.
As far as work goes, I can understand they might be tired and all, but if they are going to attend class and sleep, there is pretty much nothing that can be done. I guess reducing the span of your lectures might help, but then again there is an issue of not being able to complete the syllabus in time.
I guess you should just confront them and ask them what they would like. If you keep teaching and they don't listen or understand there is no point. So its better to meet the problems at the roots.
I hope I was of some help.
If there were no humor, life would be tragic.
hopeyeu

Unread post by hopeyeu »

You are the friend. That will be balanced
TheNightBeak
Rising Star

Unread post by TheNightBeak »

Yeah, sometimes students are just very tired and this makes teaching difficult. As teachers we're sensitive to a lack of energy in the classroom - but realise students themselves aren't necessarily even aware of this. As others have said, it's almost definitely not you who's to blame here (if we're going to apportion blame!) but the students.

If they're in an unfamiliar environment and if they have to go to several lessons a day (often the case with, for example, Chinese students in UK universities) then this is mentally exhausting. They simply cannot always show the levels of enthusiasm and interest that we would like. You have to work with what you've got.

Lifeless students/classes are an unfortunate downside of the job and I'm not sure there are any quick fixes. Make it enjoyable for yourself, at least. Plan to do things that you yourself enjoy teaching, keep it good-humoured and friendly - but of course keep their needs in mind too. That would be my recommendation.
TheNightBeak
Rising Star

Unread post by TheNightBeak »

It's all go here, eh? :)
Juliet

Unread post by Juliet »

As a substitute teacher/student and aspiring ESL teacher, I've had the same concern for quite some time. It was refreshing to see this discussion and the responses were enlightening.

Many thanks!
Mrdaudiqbal
Rising Star

Unread post by Mrdaudiqbal »

Use AV aids