Getting a job anxiety

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

Sparinoid

Getting a job anxiety

Unread post by Sparinoid »

Hey,

I finished my tefl course and am now looking to starting a job but I'm really nervous and was wondering whether anyone has felt the same and has any advice on how to deal with it.

My main concern is, I still feel like I don't really know how to teach. I feel like I would struggle to even explain to a student what the lesson instructions are considering they don't speak the same language. I feel like there's also other concerns as well such as I don't know how long plans would take for the lessons.

I totally understand that this all comes with experience but considering students pay so much money, I feel so guilty at the thought of starting. I have been trying to find volunteer options but all of the ones I found don't provide lesson plans so I'd have to make my own. Does anyone have any advice?
22englishsam

Re: Getting a job anxiety

Unread post by 22englishsam »

Teaching is really mastered by doing, not by studying. I mean to say: you won't learn how to be a teacher or overcome those language barriers until you try!

There is a reason most teaching degrees/qualifications require some practical experience.
I never did a TEFL when I started and I don't think it hurt my at all to begin with. Just try and learn as you go! Relax, breathe and jump in!

I do understand that feeling though, especially the pressures when student are paying. What age group/level are you hoping to teach?
Ultimer

Unread post by Ultimer »

I can totally feel you
Getting a job is really difficult
kellanfarday

Unread post by kellanfarday »

I'm on the other side of the boat, I'm getting anxious cause I haven't found teachers for my online ESL gig. It's not that I'm strict with certifications its a matter of finding the right fit since we're just starting. I've been looking at job boards, guides like https://blog.juro.com/contract-negotiation, tips and strategies on finding the right one but still getting no response and sometimes I get blown off. I'm getting frustrated that this new journey might not be the perfect fit for now.

I hope soon all the anxieties will go away and we'll be sailing our own boats for success. Wishing you the best in your search.