Getting a job anxiety

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

Sparinoid

Getting a job anxiety

Unread post by Sparinoid »

Hey,

I finished my tefl course and am now looking to starting a job but I'm really nervous and was wondering whether anyone has felt the same and has any advice on how to deal with it.

My main concern is, I still feel like I don't really know how to teach. I feel like I would struggle to even explain to a student what the lesson instructions are considering they don't speak the same language. I feel like there's also other concerns as well such as I don't know how long plans would take for the lessons.

I totally understand that this all comes with experience but considering students pay so much money, I feel so guilty at the thought of starting. I have been trying to find volunteer options but all of the ones I found don't provide lesson plans so I'd have to make my own. Does anyone have any advice?
22englishsam

Re: Getting a job anxiety

Unread post by 22englishsam »

Teaching is really mastered by doing, not by studying. I mean to say: you won't learn how to be a teacher or overcome those language barriers until you try!

There is a reason most teaching degrees/qualifications require some practical experience.
I never did a TEFL when I started and I don't think it hurt my at all to begin with. Just try and learn as you go! Relax, breathe and jump in!

I do understand that feeling though, especially the pressures when student are paying. What age group/level are you hoping to teach?
Ultimer

Unread post by Ultimer »

I can totally feel you
Getting a job is really difficult
kellanfarday

Unread post by kellanfarday »

I'm on the other side of the boat, I'm getting anxious cause I haven't found teachers for my online ESL gig. It's not that I'm strict with certifications its a matter of finding the right fit since we're just starting. I've been looking at job boards, guides like https://blog.juro.com/contract-negotiation, tips and strategies on finding the right one but still getting no response and sometimes I get blown off. I'm getting frustrated that this new journey might not be the perfect fit for now.

I hope soon all the anxieties will go away and we'll be sailing our own boats for success. Wishing you the best in your search.
Jan135

Unread post by Jan135 »

One of the most important things is to think of a plan for a lesson. That way you'll always know what should you do next and it's easier to maintain your confidance.
Jan135

Unread post by Jan135 »

Jan135 wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 16:31 One of the most important things is to think of for a teachging assistant is to plan for a lesson. That way you'll always know what should you do next and it's easier to maintain your confidance.
That worked for me and my colleagues.
ritabikker

Unread post by ritabikker »

It's perfectly normal to be nervous about starting a new job, especially in a field like teaching where you may feel insecure about your abilities. Here are some tips to help you feel more confident as you begin your career:
Practice makes perfect: Take the time to practice teaching before you start. You can do this by volunteering to teach English to non-native friends or family members. This will help you feel more comfortable explaining lesson instructions and interacting with students who may not speak the same language as you.
Start small: Don't expect yourself to be perfect from day one. You can start with simple lesson plans and gradually move on to more complex ones as you gain experience. Focus on creating engaging and interactive lessons that allow students to practice their English language skills in a fun and supportive environment.
Accept mistakes: Remember that everyone makes mistakes when learning something new, and teaching is no different. Instead of dwelling on your mistakes, use them as a learning opportunity to improve your teaching skills. Reflect on what went well and what you can do differently next time.