Crowdfunding to teach

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

User avatar
John V55
Top Contributor
Posts: 271
Joined: 02 Apr 2015, 01:34
Status: Teacher

Crowdfunding to teach

Unread post by John V55 » 10 Jan 2020, 19:06

A few weeks ago I had an idea and would like to know if anyone else has tried it. Crowdfunding.

Being in my 60s the chances of being employed in teaching anymore in the East is zero, but I would love to go back as a volunteer and carry on. That means I have to support myself and my coming UK pension next year won’t cover that. I’ve heard about crowdfunding, has anyone tried it and have any tips to offer?

Safari
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: 10 Jan 2020, 22:22
Status: Prospective Teacher

Re: Crowdfunding to teach

Unread post by Safari » 10 Jan 2020, 22:30

John V55 wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 19:06
A few weeks ago I had an idea and would like to know if anyone else has tried it. Crowdfunding.

Being in my 60s the chances of being employed in teaching anymore in the East is zero, but I would love to go back as a volunteer and carry on. That means I have to support myself and my coming UK pension next year won’t cover that. I’ve heard about crowdfunding, has anyone tried it and have any tips to offer?
Most teaching crowdfunding schemes seem to be for "classrooms" and "resources". Maybe that's the route to go, unless you can claim to be an impoverished and persecuted ex-member of the Royal Family such as the Duke of Wokeshire. (Come to think of it, crowdfunding might be an option for the Wokeshires too!)

Safari
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: 10 Jan 2020, 22:22
Status: Prospective Teacher

Re: Crowdfunding to teach

Unread post by Safari » 10 Jan 2020, 23:00

Btw, you could apply to teach the Wokeshires. Last time I looked, he was struggling with his English.

User avatar
John V55
Top Contributor
Posts: 271
Joined: 02 Apr 2015, 01:34
Status: Teacher

Re: Crowdfunding to teach

Unread post by John V55 » 11 Jan 2020, 12:46

It’s a serious request for information, safari.

Safari
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: 10 Jan 2020, 22:22
Status: Prospective Teacher

Re: Crowdfunding to teach

Unread post by Safari » 11 Jan 2020, 13:01

John V55 wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 12:46
It’s a serious request for information, safari.
I'm sorry, I got carried away. I know your question was serious and the first line of my answer was too:

"Most teaching crowdfunding schemes seem to be for "classrooms" and "resources". Maybe that's the route to go".

In other words, I suspect it would be difficult to get crowdfunding for an individual teacher but maybe you could set up a series of projects that could get crowdfunded.

Just my thoughts. I have no special knowledge of crowdfunding.

User avatar
John V55
Top Contributor
Posts: 271
Joined: 02 Apr 2015, 01:34
Status: Teacher

Re: Crowdfunding to teach

Unread post by John V55 » 11 Jan 2020, 20:07

Who cares what Harry and Meghan get up to.
It’s the personal crowd funding aspect I’m interested in and the project is to fund voluntary teaching in the East. Has anyone been involved in it any aspects of crowdfunding?

MTE1369
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 23 Nov 2019, 15:22
Status: Teacher

Re: Crowdfunding to teach

Unread post by MTE1369 » 11 Jan 2020, 20:42

Looking to go the “orient” is an unrealistic expectation, look closer to home, there are plenty of teaching opportunities for older adults here in Europe. why are you set on trying to go to Asia?

User avatar
John V55
Top Contributor
Posts: 271
Joined: 02 Apr 2015, 01:34
Status: Teacher

Re: Crowdfunding to teach

Unread post by John V55 » 12 Jan 2020, 13:10

MTE1369 wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 20:42
Looking to go the “orient” is an unrealistic expectation, look closer to home, there are plenty of teaching opportunities for older adults here in Europe. why are you set on trying to go to Asia?
Until recently, I spent many years teaching in places like Thailand and China so it’s not just a beginners dream. I’m married to a Thai, we have a retirement home in Thailand and as there are unofficial age restrictions on employment I’m looking to get back as a volunteer. Crowd funding is an idea I’ve recently considered to enable that.

MTE1369
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: 23 Nov 2019, 15:22
Status: Teacher

Re: Crowdfunding to teach

Unread post by MTE1369 » 12 Jan 2020, 17:42

Ok, I’m confused... If you are married to a Thai spouse, why do you (1) need to return to the U.K., and (2) if you have been teaching there all those years you should have a network of contacts, so work shouldn’t be an issue regardless of age and (3) Why can't you just return to the U.K. with your spouse, complete immigration formalities and live there...

User avatar
John V55
Top Contributor
Posts: 271
Joined: 02 Apr 2015, 01:34
Status: Teacher

Re: Crowdfunding to teach

Unread post by John V55 » 13 Jan 2020, 13:18

MTE1369 wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 17:42
Ok, I’m confused... If you are married to a Thai spouse, why do you (1) need to return to the U.K., and (2) if you have been teaching there all those years you should have a network of contacts, so work shouldn’t be an issue regardless of age and (3) Why can't you just return to the U.K. with your spouse, complete immigration formalities and live there...
I’m nearly 65 years old. There’s an unofficial cut-off date of 60 throughout Asia. I managed to get to nearly 63 in China by using ‘Grandfather rights’, but then the company I worked for lost their government contract and that was it. I came back to the UK to work until retirement, save up and return to spend half the year in Thailand and half the year in the UK, as most retirees do now.

My wife, like myself, has no desire to settle in the UK and I’ve found that saving anything in the UK is now near impossible even though I'm working. It’s a month to month existence and that’s true for the vast majority of people I know. My aim is to return to Thailand, live at ‘home’ again and work as a voluntary teacher. Hence the crowd funding idea.

Safari
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: 10 Jan 2020, 22:22
Status: Prospective Teacher

Re: Crowdfunding to teach

Unread post by Safari » 16 Jan 2020, 12:46

John V55 wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 13:18
MTE1369 wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 17:42
Ok, I’m confused... If you are married to a Thai spouse, why do you (1) need to return to the U.K., and (2) if you have been teaching there all those years you should have a network of contacts, so work shouldn’t be an issue regardless of age and (3) Why can't you just return to the U.K. with your spouse, complete immigration formalities and live there...
I’m nearly 65 years old. There’s an unofficial cut-off date of 60 throughout Asia. I managed to get to nearly 63 in China by using ‘Grandfather rights’, but then the company I worked for lost their government contract and that was it. I came back to the UK to work until retirement, save up and return to spend half the year in Thailand and half the year in the UK, as most retirees do now.

My wife, like myself, has no desire to settle in the UK and I’ve found that saving anything in the UK is now near impossible even though I'm working. It’s a month to month existence and that’s true for the vast majority of people I know. My aim is to return to Thailand, live at ‘home’ again and work as a voluntary teacher. Hence the crowd funding idea.
I'm sure you've done this sort of search and much more, but I see that people have been look for crowdsearch to fund their teaching for a few years, some with no success, some with limited success:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=crowdfund+eng ... and&ia=web

My own feeling is that you need a project to "hang" it on. People are probably more interested in supporting a specific project with goals and real students and places (and maybe a website showing progress).

User avatar
John V55
Top Contributor
Posts: 271
Joined: 02 Apr 2015, 01:34
Status: Teacher

Re: Crowdfunding to teach

Unread post by John V55 » 17 Jan 2020, 09:45

safari wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 12:46
John V55 wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 13:18
MTE1369 wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 17:42
Ok, I’m confused... If you are married to a Thai spouse, why do you (1) need to return to the U.K., and (2) if you have been teaching there all those years you should have a network of contacts, so work shouldn’t be an issue regardless of age and (3) Why can't you just return to the U.K. with your spouse, complete immigration formalities and live there...
I’m nearly 65 years old. There’s an unofficial cut-off date of 60 throughout Asia. I managed to get to nearly 63 in China by using ‘Grandfather rights’, but then the company I worked for lost their government contract and that was it. I came back to the UK to work until retirement, save up and return to spend half the year in Thailand and half the year in the UK, as most retirees do now.

My wife, like myself, has no desire to settle in the UK and I’ve found that saving anything in the UK is now near impossible even though I'm working. It’s a month to month existence and that’s true for the vast majority of people I know. My aim is to return to Thailand, live at ‘home’ again and work as a voluntary teacher. Hence the crowd funding idea.
I'm sure you've done this sort of search and much more, but I see that people have been look for crowdsearch to fund their teaching for a few years, some with no success, some with limited success:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=crowdfund+eng ... and&ia=web

My own feeling is that you need a project to "hang" it on. People are probably more interested in supporting a specific project with goals and real students and places (and maybe a website showing progress).
At present it’s only an idea and so I’m just testing the water. I don’t listen to the crowd funding platform hypes themselves as all are promising miracles, but I’ve already considered a website, much in the same vein as the signature one I have here, but focused on education. I just wondered if anyone had already tried it.

Post Reply