Complaints about Dave's ESL Cafe

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

John V55
Top Contributor

Re: Complaints about Dave's ESL Cafe

Unread post by John V55 »

Dave Sperling’s ESL Cafe has been going for years and is well known for being morally and ethically bankrupt. It started off OK, but he makes his money from advertisers and the revenue that keeps the place going is King. From spam to scams and misleading adverts, ESL is a market leader in shady recruitment practices. I didn’t know people still used that place, but at the end of the day it all goes back to the old adage, ‘Buyer Beware.’ Or in the case of Dave’s ESL Café, if it sounds too good to be true, it’s not probably, it definitely is. :)
pasqual

Unread post by pasqual »

The problem for those of us in Europe is that despite there being EU laws which are supposed to prevent discrimination in recruitment advertising (this means any job site accessible in Europe), job sites from outside the EU continue to include discriminatory content in their job posts. Indeed even some EU-based sites contain these posts (just do a search of this very site tefl.net and you will see what I mean). If there are laws in place, they need to be enforced.
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

‘When in Rome …’ Europe is a very small part of the world and especially if we’re job searching other parts of the world we have to be knowledgeable as to their requirements. I’d rather be aware of what is available to me than endlessly apply for employment and not be aware that I’m never going to get it. Most of the rest of the world outside the EU is very discriminatory and they don’t hide the fact. I already know that employment in Asia at my age is a definite no, so why waste my time?

Recently in Britain I applied for a job (not teaching). In an informal phone discussion with HR I stated that there is one particular role I wouldn’t do, but if they were happy with that, I’d come for an interview. No problem they said, I went for an interview and didn’t get the job. In a follow up email I asked for feedback as to why I didn’t get the job and was told because I wouldn’t be happy in the role I’d already been told wouldn’t happen! I wasted my time and theirs and it was all nice and non-discriminatory and obeying all the regulations, but I’d have much rather they said no at the outset as they already knew I wouldn’t be suitable.