Teaching TEFL Abroad Without an Anglo-Saxon/American name?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

bvgarian

Teaching TEFL Abroad Without an Anglo-Saxon/American name?

Unread post by bvgarian »

Hello,

I am a Caucasian, a U.S. citizen, and I have a B.A. from an American university. I would like to teach English abroad, but I am wondering if my name would be a hindrance? I have a foreign-sounding name as I wasn't born in America, but rather moved to the U.S. when I was three. My nickname can be "American" but all of my documents have my foreign name on them. Do you think this would be an issue? I know some companies have a certain demographic in mind in order to accept applicants. I hope this question isn't too controversial,

Thank you.
COLIN
Rising Star

Re: Teaching TEFL Abroad Without an Anglo-Saxon/American name?

Unread post by COLIN »

Everything seems to be an issue for these employers. Name, age, qualifications, handsome or ugly and all the rest. They are actually looking for a perfect "barby" doll and not a good professional. Gone are the days when a fresh man would be welcome to a honey ride. Things have gotten so rough that no rabbit dares poking his nose out of the burrow anymore. Nevertheless, the ads are there just as a show case, inviting people to risk their necks on the guillotine.
odyssey
Rising Star

Unread post by odyssey »

bvgarian wrote: 11 Nov 2019, 17:11 Hello,

I am a Caucasian, a U.S. citizen, and I have a B.A. from an American university. I would like to teach English abroad, but I am wondering if my name would be a hindrance? I have a foreign-sounding name as I wasn't born in America, but rather moved to the U.S. when I was three. My nickname can be "American" but all of my documents have my foreign name on them. Do you think this would be an issue? I know some companies have a certain demographic in mind in order to accept applicants. I hope this question isn't too controversial,

Thank you.
Hey, loads of American surnames are "foreign" or foreign-sounding. I don't think it's an issue these days.
odyssey
Rising Star

Unread post by odyssey »

COLIN wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 19:10 Everything seems to be an issue for these employers. Name, age, qualifications, handsome or ugly and all the rest. They are actually looking for a perfect "barby" doll and not a good professional. Gone are the days when a fresh man would be welcome to a honey ride. Things have gotten so rough that no rabbit dares poking his nose out of the burrow anymore. Nevertheless, the ads are there just as a show case, inviting people to risk their necks on the guillotine.
hahaha Nice one Colin :mrgreen:
COLIN
Rising Star

Unread post by COLIN »

Thank you Odyssey,
Someone needs to tell it like it is.
The merit goes to this forum that gives vent to democratic voices like my big open mouth. However, the truth shall always stand out very strong independent of those who try to render obscure real facts, or are tolerant with fake personalities.
More teachers should speak out though. Or is it all a bed of roses for those that are silent?
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

COLIN wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 15:45 Thank you Odyssey,
Someone needs to tell it like it is.
The merit goes to this forum that gives vent to democratic voices like my big open mouth. However, the truth shall always stand out very strong independent of those who try to render obscure real facts, or are tolerant with fake personalities.
More teachers should speak out though. Or is it all a bed of roses for those that are silent?
:R: :R: :R: :!:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
COLIN
Rising Star

Unread post by COLIN »

Thank you Joe. It makes me feel much better to know that I am not a lonely duck swimming in this wide ocean.