Teaching online for newly qualified TEFL teacher

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

Alcaina

Teaching online for newly qualified TEFL teacher

Unread post by Alcaina »

I have my TEFL certificate and I am a graduate. However as yet I have no experience of teaching English. I would like to try teaching online first and would like to know if anyone has suggestions of reliable recruiters/agencies? Thanks
parquerak

Re: Teaching online for newly qualified TEFL teacher

Unread post by parquerak »

Hello, there are lots of places to teach online nowadays. I recommend you do a search on the big job search websites such as indeed.com, totaljobs.com, cvlibrary.com, etc. I have been teaching with Dada (formerly DadaABC) since last October and they are a good school and you can get paid every 15th of the month through PayPal. I have also taught for iTutorGroup (TutorABC) and they were also ok, though at the time I was with them they didn't pay via PayPal, only wire transfer. I have also taken the liberty and did a search on indeed.com for you, so you can see how many job posts there are for online ESL teacher. Wish you all the best. Don't give up! :)
https://www.indeed.co.uk/Online-English-Teacher-jobs
DAP

Unread post by DAP »

This is really helpful - thank you . I am in a similar position i.e. qualified and now where do I start. I am eager to get going but anxious. I have signed up in a voluntary role and got my kit set up at home. Haven’t had the chance to use it yet.
In my view online is harder in some respects to a class but has benefits too.
I am really encouraged by your experience with DaDa.
Thanks again to you both
Mrdaudiqbal
Rising Star

Unread post by Mrdaudiqbal »

I am also interested in teaching online but only issue is pay pal
Firefox

Unread post by Firefox »

@Mrdaud - what's the issue with paypal?
Mrdaudiqbal
Rising Star

Unread post by Mrdaudiqbal »

Pay pal isnt allowed in most of the asian countries
pasqual

Unread post by pasqual »

Alcaina: I didn't have much teaching experience before starting online, however I now teach for several online platforms. There are online employers who will take on teachers with no or little experience (if you are qualified). I find the big job sites a pain for tefl jobs as the searches bring up a huge number of general 'education' jobs rather than tefl specifically. Try a search at the niche tefl job sites such as tefl.com, they have a load of jobs and you can search specifically for online jobs which I see today has 21 online teaching posts. Good luck in your search!
kdammers
Rising Star

Unread post by kdammers »

I have a different issue with Pay Pal. i once got a payment-due notice form "Pay Pal" even though I had never used that service. I wrote to Pay Pal explaining my situation, asking for an explanation. They never responded. Even if it was phishing by some-one else, why couldn't Pay Pal have responded?
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

Mrdaudiqbal wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 05:41Pay pal isnt allowed in most of the asian countries
1. Not sure how true that is and in any case there are a million other ways for payments, including Alipay from China.
2. I personally know several Thai people who have PayPal from Thailand. That’s in Asia.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

kdammers wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 14:47 I have a different issue with Pay Pal. i once got a payment-due notice form "Pay Pal" even though I had never used that service. I wrote to Pay Pal explaining my situation, asking for an explanation. They never responded. Even if it was phishing by some-one else, why couldn't Pay Pal have responded?
Could be lots of reasons. It’s not easy to “write to PayPal”, especially if you don’t have an account (as you intimate). The original payment-due email was certainly spam. Put it behind you. Move on.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Firefox

Unread post by Firefox »

You might find this helpful in general:
https://www.tefl.net/elt/articles/teach ... roduction/