Is there a way to quit graciously with short notice?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

mrdadams

Is there a way to quit graciously with short notice?

Unread post by mrdadams »

I just accepted this job 5 months ago and feel like it was a mistake. The workload is too much for me, and the work environment is too toxic and exhausting to deal with on a regular basis. I’ve been seriously considering becoming a tour guide for a company that organizes events like a Ukraine ski trip and city tours. The benefits are great, the salary is more than enough, and I think a fresh change in environment is exactly what I need. Is there a way to quit gracefully with short notice? Do I have to state a reason why I’m quitting? Is it better to send a formal email or express my resignation verbally? I need some advice!
Joe
Admin

Re: Is there a way to quit graciously with short notice?

Unread post by Joe »

There should be no need to give a reason, though out of courtesy many people do (even though the reason given may not be the real one).

Normally a period of minimum notice would be included in your contract. Is that not the case with yours?
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
jw34

Re: Is there a way to quit graciously with short notice?

Unread post by jw34 »

Yes; refer to the contract for notice period.

As to email or verbally - you probably need to put it in an email at some point so that is one way. If you're not looking forward to the conversation this can be one way of making it easier of course.

Why do you want to leave with short notice? Can you not stick it out for the month (or whatever the notice period is)? In general that would be best as you will then part on reasonably good terms which may be handy for references etc.

If you break a notice period you could be liable for a civil action - and that would then depend on what usually happens in whatever country you are in, whether you want to go back there etc.

If you really can't stand it one method some people use is to give in the official notice period and then immediately go sick so in practice they don't have to go in again. -

But I'd recommend doing working the notice if you possibly can.