Using TEFL and an IT diploma

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

Sam1995BR

Using TEFL and an IT diploma

Unread post by Sam1995BR »

Hey everyone,

I was just trying to solve an issue I have. I am nearing the end of an IT course and will be obtaining a diploma. However, I also wanted to obtain a TEFL diploma to enable me to teach abroad. Would I be able to qualify only having an IT diploma and TEFL diploma to teach abroad? I have read many posts which state you need a TEFL diploma and the equivalent of a bachelors degree ?

Can anyone help ?

Many thanks 😁
Joe
Admin

Re: Using TEFL and an IT diploma

Unread post by Joe »

A TEFL diploma (or indeed a TEFL certificate) is often enough for many employers from their point of view.

However, it is true that a bachelor's (in almost any subject) is often required by the respective government before a visa/work permit can be issued. This is not (yet) universal and at least initially you need to research for the countries that interest you, looking more at the work permit end of things rather than employers' academic requirements.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
jw34

Re: Using TEFL and an IT diploma

Unread post by jw34 »

Sam - my experience is that a degree is not required. However; in my case I have been able to point to a long professional career (in IT) and I think that helps. I would therefore emphasise any professional experience you have when you make applications. But, basically, Joe is correct many employers do not require a degree.