Looking for TEFL work in the Middle East

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

whatshisface

Looking for TEFL work in the Middle East

Unread post by whatshisface »

Hello,

I am a TEFL certified native English Speaker with a Bachelor's degree and a year's worth of TEFL experience in Vietnam.

I am looking for a TEFL position in the middle east and am wandering how people go about the job hunt for this ? Also what are the Middle Eastern views on male teachers with long hair, even if it is pulled up in a bun?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: Looking for TEFL work in the Middle East

Unread post by Briona »

Hi there, and welcome to the forum,

It's not clear from your post what type of TEFL certificate you have. However, if it was gained online (or partially online), it won't be accepted anywhere in the Middle East. The same goes for your degree.

If I'm honest, you haven't really got enough experience for most jobs in the Middle East. There are very few entry-level positions, and while you might be able to find something in Saudi Arabia, it would most likely be with a shady employer.

If you really want to work in the Middle East, I'd advise you to get a couple more years' experience under your belt, and maybe look at bettering your qualifications. If you don't already have a Celta, you might consider investing in one, and further down the line, it might be worth investing in either a Delta or a relevant Master's.

Hope that helps, and if you have any other questions, please ask.

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
MarekMericko

Unread post by MarekMericko »

And what do you think about my prospects of finding a job in Qatar?
I am a qualified English teacher from Slovakia, having Master´s Degree in Teaching, TEFL Certification - 120 Hour online. CAE - Certificate in Advanced English and IELTS Academic 7.0 ( from year 2009). I have 9 years of teching experience in Slovakia. much experience. But non-native speaker, level near native -speaker.
Thank you for your opinion.
Briona
Top Contributor

Unread post by Briona »

Hi there,
MarekMericko wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 11:05I am a qualified English teacher from Slovakia … But non-native speaker, level near native -speaker.
Being a non-native English-speaker is not a huge stumbling block - I work with both natives and non-natives. Your qualifications are more important than your nationality.
MarekMericko wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 11:05 ...Master´s Degree in Teaching, TEFL Certification - 120 Hour online
As long as your Master's in Teaching was obtained in person and not online, you should be able to find work in Qatar. Note that your TEFL qualification wouldn't be accepted anywhere in the Middle East as it was gained online.

Hope that helps, and if you have any other questions, please ask.

Briona
MarekMericko

Unread post by MarekMericko »

Thanks. My Master´s in teaching was not online, i studied full 5 years Tecahing of English at the University. Athough my additional course - TEFL was online, it is not pointed on my certificate.
Hmm.... i don´t know
Briona
Top Contributor

Unread post by Briona »

Hi again,
MarekMericko wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 07:20Athough my additional course - TEFL was online, it is not pointed on my certificate.
To work in Qatar you need to provide an official letter from each of your course providers, and one of the bits of information required is how the course was taken. If your provider admits that it was taken online, either fully or partially, it won't be accepted. In your case, this isn't a massive issue as your Master's in Teaching is a superior qualification to a TEFL certificate.

Hope that helps.

Briona