CELTA - what next - UK vs overseas

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

Mr_Joe

CELTA - what next - UK vs overseas

Unread post by Mr_Joe »

Hello everyone!

I qualified in CELTA this summer, immediately gave up my office job in a bank and embarked on 8 weeks of work in summer camps.

Having had little opportunity to take in my future options, I am wondering, what now.

I have no immediate impulse to go abroad, although this does interest me in the medium-long term.

I have been offered hours at language schools close to home - but these are not substantial enough to provide a liveable wage as yet. I live in Manchester so there are however plenty of schools.

I have seen attractive job options abroad - and even almost been offered one - but I want to go for the right reason, not just because I haven't explored options close to home.

My question to you wise and wonderful folk is thus...

As a freshly qualified and relatively inexperienced teacher, what expectations can I have for finding enough work in the UK?

As mentioned, I'd like to explore options close to home first. However, if opportunities really are scarce, I don't want to waste the little savings I have finding this out, while better paid positions await abroad.

I continue to search, hopefully better informed with your guidance! :D

Many thanks,

Joe
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: CELTA - what next - UK vs overseas

Unread post by Lucy »

Dear Joe,

It's not easy finding full-time EFL work in the UK out of the summer season. There are loads of British EFL teachers working abroad with years of experience; many of those wish to return home to work in the UK. You'll always be in competition with those people for jobs. However, if you have contracts with various language schools, each for a few hours, you can supplement that with private one-on-one work. You may be able to make a living out of it. By the end of September, most schools abroad will have finished their recruitment for the year. I'd say to make a decision before the end of this month. If not, you'll be waiting for the next big recruitment period which is January/February or even next Sept depending on the country.

best of luck,

Lucy
Mr_Joe

Unread post by Mr_Joe »

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for your advice. It's useful to know what patterns exist in schools' recruitment.

I'm going to keep my options open - within a week I should know more accurately what my opportunities are in Manchester.

From your advice, however, it seems like it would be good to look into other more substantial options abroad, as these may not be available for a while after this month. I'll keep this in mind.

I looked at the link for your guide to teaching English. It looks interesting. Is there any chance you could send me a sample? Or is it available in shops?

Thanks again,
Joe
Lucy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi Joe,

The book is in ebook format, so not available in shops yet. You can buy it on our site here. If you send me your email address, I'll send you some sample pages.

Best,

Lucy
Mr_Joe

Unread post by Mr_Joe »

Thanks for sending over the sample of your book Lucy! Looking forward to reading that.

Your advice proved useful, as I soon came across a 9-month job opportunity in Italy.

The hours are much more substantial than anything I've found here, so I'm taking it.

If anyone has any experience of working in, living in, or even just visiting Italy (and Milan in particular), I'd be delighted to hear it!!

:P
Lucy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi Joe,

Glad to have been of help. Hope you enjoy the sample. I've never worked in Italy so I can't comment on that.

Let us know how you get on when you're there.

Lucy