Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

Rising Star
Posts: 30
Joined: 06 Oct 2007, 13:09
Status: Teacher


Unread post by margyf » 16 Apr 2008, 08:36


I have just completed the TEFL (Teaching English as a foreign language) through i-to-i

I’m currently not looking to teach abroad just yet I have instead opted for teaching here in the UK.

I have been in contact with a few schools etc in my area and some have come back saying the following:

According to the British Council guidelines on qualifications and the following criteria need to be met.

1. Be externally validated by a reputable examination body (usually a university or recognised examination board)
2. Contain at least six hours' supervised teaching practice.
3. Contain at least 100 hours of ELT/TESOL input.

I’m getting worried now as I think now that most of the centres, schools in my area are going to be asking for this

CELTA, Trinity cert.

How many or what qualifications are the real ones?

Does this mean I am going to have to go out study again just so I can meet the red tape and politics?

It has left me feeling undervalued by this and worried that the i-to-i qualification is only validated abroad.

If this is the case I’m going to have to start all over again that’s another £900

Please any advice on schools in the surrey or areas I can teach which don’t hold so many grudges against those of us who have studied are backsides off online.

Or any establishments where I can qualify properly.

And I've been left to feel that just because it’s online it’s not as recognised or even to the standard of what the British council recommends
And any other useful pieces of advice....

I look forward to receiving some clarification on the matter.



User avatar
Posts: 22
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 14:58
Status: Teacher


Unread post by Doogs » 01 Sep 2009, 19:37

The i to i online course is a perfectly adequate qualification for most TEFL jobs abroad. The exceptions are some Universities that will require a degree in English Language or related subjects.

As far as teaching English in a language school in the U.K.though, it is of no use at all. You say "a few schools etc. in my area". What kind of schools etc? I'm guessing privately run language schools teaching English as a foreign language.These schools are very tightly regulated in the U.K. the reason being that almost everyone in the U.K speaks English as their first language, and a lot of them will have studied English at school to at least standard if not higher grade, and without regulation anyone could set up a language school and teach English to foreigners. As I'm sure you can imagine, that would lead to a very wide range of standards of teaching from good to very poor indeed.

There is also the competition factor. Europe is one of the most popular places amongst TEFL teachers. This is because it is not so far to travel for Americans and Europeans, and the culture is not as alien as it is in Asia and Africa for instance. The standard of living is higher, and it can be easier for native English speakers to get by without having to learn the local language. For those reasons the competition for jobs in Europe is much higher, and so the level of qualification needed is much higher. Often the entry level is a CELTA certificate and sometimes a relevant bachelors degree as well.

As I said before, the i to i certificate is perfectly acceptable in most Asian and African countries, as well as South America. Indeed it is the qualification I have. It is not as good as the CELTA course though, which is up to ten times more expensive, is a two week full time course, and involves a lot of hands on teaching experience. You don't mention why you don't want to teach abroad just yet, but let's face it, for most people the whole point of doing TEFL is as much about travelling and experiencing the culture of other countries as it is about teaching English. If your more passionate about teaching English than travelling, you would be much better off going to university and getting a degree.
Be the change you want to see in the world.

User avatar
Top Contributor
Posts: 209
Joined: 28 Nov 2006, 08:05
Status: School Admin


Unread post by ICAL_Pete » 02 Sep 2009, 07:22

Most tefl certificates are fine for entry level jobs. It's only when you want to get into universities or the British Council or higher end jobs that a CELTA comes into play.

But you will need a degree to go along with the certificate to get a job in most countries.

Rising Star
Posts: 96
Joined: 07 Aug 2009, 18:53
Status: Other


Unread post by Lucas » 03 Sep 2009, 23:02

"An ACTDEC Level Two qualification (or above) coupled with an ACTDEC Certificate of Teaching Practice Development in TESOL fulfil the requirements of the British Council Accreditation Scheme" (http://www.actdec.org.uk/index.shtml)

You can take Ontesol's 250-hour online TESOL program, which is recognized by ACTDEC Level 3, and then take the practicum module in the UK.

Ontesol - Online TESOL/TEFL courses. http://www.ontesol.com

Posts: 10
Joined: 22 Apr 2009, 22:18
Status: Trainee Teacher


Unread post by Ellechim » 04 Sep 2009, 07:52

When I was researching I realised that CELTA, Trinity was what was needed in Ireland, UK, Australia and Italy - these would be my countries of interest.

All these bar Italy require a degree in Ireland any degree will do in Australia they want some linguistics as well, (not sure about UK) I am anticipating Italy will catch up so I am going to do a uni course on line.

I do think the CELTA is the better investment for these reasons, and it also earns points on any OU course you take.

Did you plan to go overseas and then change your mind, how did you miss this? :(

Post Reply