First Time Teaching Business English. Need Advice

Discussion on teaching Business English

Moderator: Joe

oneota
Rising Star

Re: First Time Teaching Business English. Need Advice

Unread post by oneota »

Run, don't walk, to the nearest bookstore and buy Market Leader. Get both the textbook and the workbook. Have your students do the same. It's not perfect, but it is good. Also, look at Linguahouse, which has a lot of both free and for-pay lesson plans in business English, but I don't think they have a full curriculum.
MTE1369

Unread post by MTE1369 »

EASTERN or CENTRAl Europe? Just asking
Regan@O2C

Unread post by Regan@O2C »

Honestly this question comes up a lot and I have good news for you. You can use Off2Class to access business related lessons for free. Also if you need student comprehensions levels you can track those. However, this material could be useful for future planning. This is the lesson that requires no account and if you do make an account to access more Business English Lessons, no payment is required which I think is great!

https://www.off2class.com/lesson-plan-downloads/teaching-business-english-advertising/
youranime

Unread post by youranime »

It isn't easy to start something from scratch.
MarcusGohar

Unread post by MarcusGohar »

First, do a needs analysis. Then give a level test that is relevant to your learner's needs. For example, if your student has trouble keeping up in meetings, a strong speaking and listening element should form part of the test, and subsequently, your curriculum. Luckily, various needs analyses and level tests for business English are available online, OneStop English, for example. Don't go ordering books before these stages or you might end up trying to match the learner to the material rather than the material to the learner!
youranime

Unread post by youranime »

It isn't easy to start something from scratch. It seems that it makes sense for you to take some courses to understand the topic better. For example, I was recently offered a new position at work, but I had to understand financial modelling. Unfortunately, I didn't understand this, so I decided it would be nice to take some courses. I started looking and came across some online courses at wallstreetoasis.com/resources/why-wso/wsp. I bought the training, and I really started to understand this topic well. So to get better at something, you need to study a lot.
Fahad89

Unread post by Fahad89 »

Congratulations on starting your journey as a Business English teacher! Teaching Business English can be a rewarding and exciting experience. I'm happy to share some tips to help you prepare for your first class and make the most of the provided business vocabulary resource.

1. Familiarize yourself with the vocabulary: Begin by studying the business vocabulary words (https://engdic.org/300-business-vocabul ... glish-pdf/). Understanding the meanings, usage, and context of these words is essential for teaching effectively. As you learn, create flashcards or other visual aids to help you remember the words.

2. Understand your students' needs: Assess your students' language proficiency and identify their specific needs, such as enhancing presentation skills, writing professional emails, or improving telephone etiquette. This will help you tailor your lessons and focus on the most relevant vocabulary.

3. Plan engaging lessons: Create lesson plans that cover a variety of business topics and integrate the vocabulary from the list. Combine different teaching methods, such as role-plays, discussions, and case studies, to keep your students engaged and provide ample opportunities to practice the new vocabulary in context.

4. Reinforce vocabulary acquisition: Encourage your students to use the newly learned vocabulary in their assignments, presentations, and conversations. Provide feedback and corrections to help them improve.

5. Encourage self-study: Recommend the business vocabulary resource to your students for their independent study. Encourage them to review the list regularly and practice using the words in sentences or conversations outside of class.

6. Assess progress: Regularly evaluate your students' progress through quizzes, assignments, and presentations. This will help you identify areas that need more attention and adjust your teaching approach accordingly.

7. Stay updated: Keep yourself informed about the latest trends and developments in the business world. This will help you maintain a fresh perspective and make your lessons more relevant and engaging.

I hope you find these tips helpful as you begin teaching Business English. Remember to be patient, as learning new vocabulary and concepts takes time. With dedication and perseverance, both you and your students will achieve success.
Hanny

Unread post by Hanny »

Fahad89 wrote: 08 May 2023, 06:18 Congratulations on starting your journey as a Business English teacher! Teaching Business English can be a rewarding and exciting experience. I'm happy to share some tips to help you prepare for your first class and make the most of the provided business vocabulary resource.

1. Familiarize yourself with the vocabulary: Begin by studying the business vocabulary words. Understanding the meanings, usage, and context of these words is essential for teaching effectively. As you learn, create flashcards or other visual aids to help you remember the words.
2. Understand your students' needs: Assess your students' language proficiency and identify their specific needs, such as enhancing presentation skills, writing professional emails, or improving telephone etiquette. This will help you tailor your lessons and focus on the most relevant vocabulary.
3. Plan engaging lessons: Create lesson plans that cover a variety of business topics and integrate the vocabulary from the list. https://papersowl.com/examples/ helps with free essay examples. Combine different teaching methods, such as role-plays, discussions, and case studies, to keep your students engaged and provide ample opportunities to practice the new vocabulary in context.
4. Reinforce vocabulary acquisition: Encourage your students to use the newly learned vocabulary in their assignments, presentations, and conversations. Provide feedback and corrections to help them improve.
5. Encourage self-study: Recommend the business vocabulary resource to your students for their independent study. Encourage them to review the list regularly and practice using the words in sentences or conversations outside of class.
6. Assess progress: Regularly evaluate your students' progress through quizzes, assignments, and presentations. This will help you identify areas that need more attention and adjust your teaching approach accordingly.
7. Stay updated: Keep yourself informed about the latest trends and developments in the business world. This will help you maintain a fresh perspective and make your lessons more relevant and engaging.
I hope you find these tips helpful as you begin teaching Business English. Remember to be patient, as learning new vocabulary and concepts takes time. With dedication and perseverance, both you and your students will achieve success.
These tips seems really useful for any process of study, for teachers and for students too. Do you have any guide that leads you? I will be thankful for any suggestion.