Resident (doctor)-patient scripts

Discussion on teaching Business English

Moderator: Joe

cloa513

Resident (doctor)-patient scripts

Unread post by cloa513 »

Dear English Teachers

I am privately teaching a Japanese resident who works in a hospital in Japan. I would much prefer she bought a textbook so I could use that but she won't pay for it. The textbook costs twice what I get paid per lesson. Japanese hospitals only accept emergency or referral or transfers from other hospitals so no walk-ins. Can you assist me? - I have found some scripts on the internet but it is fairly limited? It should be patient-doctor conversations. She will be transitioning from resident to senior resident after pregnancy leave and entering a hospital with more non-Japanese. She wants to get into pediatrics. I though maybe "Scrubs" the TV show scripts would be useful. Any thoughts?
Joe
Admin

Re: Resident (doctor)-patient scripts

Unread post by Joe »

You might find something at
https://www.englishclub.com/english-for ... edical.htm
but to be honest it's more for nurses than doctors
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
cloa513

Unread post by cloa513 »

That site had a link to doctor-patient communication so I will use that.

In addition, I will use the following- the first is a snippet of how pain is different for different patients and the second longer story is more communicative.

SCRUBS Doctor Patient
Every patient handles it differently, depending on their race Does what hurt? gender Ow! I just bit the inside of my lip.
Nothing has ever hurt so badly! or even their sex life.
Oh, yeah! That feels good! Since there's no way to truly gauge how much pain someone's in, we have to rely on an archaic chart.
Since there's no way to truly gauge how much pain someone's in, we have to rely on an archaic chart.
Mr.Peele, you're about a seven on the pain chart.
Yep, you're a seven. Looking at diagram of face

Do you have any family, Mrs.Wilk?
No.I was married twice. Divorced one, the other died. Wrong one died.
Look, Mrs. Wilk, you have something called systemic amyloidosis. Now, it's in your liver now, but it'll eventually shut down all your organs. There is a treatment, but it's very invasive and, at best, it'll just give you a little more time.
- Well, I've had a great life, so - Say no more.
I'm gonna take amazing care of you.
OK.
- How's it going today? - Crappy.
I had to tell an old lady she's dying.
You? OK.
What are you doing here?
Mrs.Wilk was asking me questions that I actually thought would be best answered by you.
Why did that sweaty attorney ask me if my affairs were in order? Because I wanted to make sure that you're as comfortable as possible.
- As comfortable as possible? For what? - I'm going to sit for this.
For the place that you're going.
The big puffy clouds, bright lights, all your old friends - Seattle? - No, no, no.
Not Seattle.
The You know, the "dying peacefully" place.
- What are you talking about? - Now, I'm going to stand.
This morning, you told me you'd had a great life.
Exactly.
And I'd like to continue it.
This is just a misunderstanding.
Sorry.
valerylots

Unread post by valerylots »

Why don't you ask among your colleagues, it's more likely that they will help you
sandykostin

Unread post by sandykostin »

It is a pity that the state does not provide residents with financing even in such cases. Poor students should not think about how they could earn extra money for textbooks for studying only
oneota
Rising Star

Unread post by oneota »

I would be leery of using the whole first script from 'Scrubs,' a show I'm not familiar with. As a native speaker of American English who worked in hospitals, I don't understand it. Maybe with the video included it could be explained to your students. But going into enough depth to do so would also mean that you should point out the problematical grammar.

On the other hand, while I don't have any scripts, I did collect nurses' phrases from practicing nurses:
https://learnenglishwithdianna.co.nz/nu ... er-health/ .

It's too bad your student won't buy a textbook that costs twice what one of your lessons cost. Most of my students buy textbooks that cost two or more times what an hour with me costs them.
lkk53

Unread post by lkk53 »

The textbook English In Medicine by Eric H. Glendinning and Beverly Holmstrom may be helpful to you.
jeanette

Unread post by jeanette »

There's plenty of material online e.g. English Health Train; TED talks for general and medical communication skills; A&C Black Dictionary of Medical Terms plus vocabulary exercises can be found free on the internet; General Medical Council; MediWed.com.au; www.onestopenglish,com English for Medical Purposes; these are all I can remember off the top of my head.
What is the title of the book? It could be available free somewhere online, or there could be a cheaper used copy from Amazon. Send me your email address and I'll send you some examples that I have.
myselfahmad

Unread post by myselfahmad »

Perhaps you could use the provided video to explain it to your students. However, in order to accomplish that, you would also need to call attention to the poor grammar.
myselfahmad

I like this info. Really appreciatable.
myselfahmad

myselfahmad wrote: 29 Dec 2022, 16:39 Perhaps you could use the provided video to explain it to your students to count words onhttps://contadorpalabras.org. However, in order to accomplish that, you would also need to call attention to the poor grammar.