Get Ready for Business - Macmillan

Discussion on teaching Business English

Moderator: Joe

confuciusjm

Get Ready for Business - Macmillan

Unread post by confuciusjm »

Hi, has anyone here ever used the "Get Ready for Business" series from Macmillan (http://www.macmillanenglish.com/Course.aspx?id=41716) for Business English classes? I'm contemplating using this on my Chinese EFL students, but it's out of print at the moment and I'm keen to know if they are good.

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks

J
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Get Ready for Business - Macmillan

Unread post by systematic »

Sorry I missed your post.
Why would you want to use it if it's out of print? In my opinion, the best solution would be to check out the publishers' online catalogues of English Language method books for business and choose something that is up to date and in print. Look at those of other publishers too, such as Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press, Longman, Pearson, etc. You could also run a Google search for simply Business English. if you are working for an established organisation, the publisher might send you a free inspection copy, although this is becoming rarer now that sample pages are often published on their websites.
confuciusjm

Unread post by confuciusjm »

Thanks systematic, for your reply. The reason why I asked was I saw the sample pages online and they look pretty decent. Macmillan told me they were going to reprint it in March (I checked it and they are available for order again). Hence I just wanted to see if I can gather feedback from people who've used it and see if it is really as good as the sample suggests it to be.

Cheers again for your comments.
systematic
Top Contributor

Fine. I haven't actually used that book so I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I tend to use Business Opportunities and Business Objectives by Vicky Hollett at Oxford University Press. The series begins at a Lower Intermediate level.
systematic
Top Contributor

I've now downloaded and had a look at the sample pages. It's a book I would seriously consider using if Vicky's books went out of print. Remember that the pairwork and groupwork exercises will be difficult to get going in Asian adult classes.