Technical English Books

Discussion on teaching Business English

Moderator: Joe

pgandhi

Technical English Books

Unread post by pgandhi »

Hello everyone,

I'm Head of Studies at a language academy and I need to find some good Technical English books (leveled: pre-intermediate, intermediate, and upper intermediate) for some Engineering-focused InCompany classes.

I'm familiar with a lot of the resources out there, but it seems to be more complicated to find technical books split into levels.

I've found ¨Tech Talk¨ from Oxford University Press, but they have no upper intermediate level and I'm not even sure if it's still in stock.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have to order some books ASAP!
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Technical English Books

Unread post by Alex Case »

Tech Talk is great and only about 5 years old so definitely still available. Here's my review of Pre-Int

http://www.tefl.net/alexcase/reviews/bu ... ermediate/

The only other books are know is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-En ... 0521734886

For self study rather than class use, but could perhaps be adapted
pgandhi

Unread post by pgandhi »

Dear Alex,

I completely agree with you on the lack of technical English books on the market - "Tech Talk" is the only graded method I've found so far. In term of higher level, I think the only real option is adapting resources from self study books, university textbooks, and the internet.

Thanks for leading me to your thoughtful review...it was really helpful!
neverstopped

Unread post by neverstopped »

I've had similar problems with finding anything for different levels. During my internet search I also found a series that has different levels: Technical-English-Course-Book - it should still be in stock and it's pretty useful. I have them all on my bookshelf. The internet can be your friend in some aspects, but often the quality can't be guaranteed.
Last edited by Susan on 07 Mar 2012, 20:18, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: To remove links
SpringJim

Unread post by SpringJim »

Technical English by Pearson Longman start at Pre-Int I think and they're pretty decent.
Rhyno9

Unread post by Rhyno9 »

Hey there. I live and work in Germany and only teach technical workshops, 4 day workshops 38 weeks in the year. I have learnt over the last 10 years to establish a base level of material and then build based on the students own experience and knowledge as well as their own responsibilities at work. Using milestones (books) as my basis I've been able to work successfully with all fields of engineering.
Grab a selection of books and then learn to be very creative. Make the lessons more of a practical learning experience rather than working from paper. I mean they are engineers and not learning business English lol.