Advice needed please!

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

niiish

Advice needed please!

Unread post by niiish »

Hi everyone. I’m new here. I've been trying to find forums to connect with people for advice and guidance around TEFL and this seems to be the most reliable I've come across.

I’m seriously looking into TEFL in south Korea next year. It's something I’ve been considering for a few years now however, due to personal reasons, it didn’t materialise. I’d like to spend 12 months teaching with a view to extend, and am actively looking for avenues to achieve it. I’m not TEFL certified, I have a Bachelor’s degree, I’m British and am confident I meet all of the other criteria to teach English in south Korea. I'm also in the early stages of learning Korean.

Browsing online, I came across Greenheart Travel. They include a three-week intensive certification course and seem to offer a clear support process/package. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them, or equally recommend any other companies/paths I should explore?

Also, does anyone have any links to beginner resources/step by step guides that I could benefit from reading please?

I would really appreciate a chat with some experienced members if anyone would be open to it...
22englishsam

Re: Advice needed please!

Unread post by 22englishsam »

For context: I have taught EFL in Korea for 5 years :)

For Korea, tbh, if you want to work in a hagwon, you don't even really need a TEFL cert. You might be turned down for some jobs but I never actually finshed mine!! No school ever asked me about it. If you want one, do a cheap one.

If you want to go the EPIK route (EFL in Korean public schools) then you won't be accepted without a TEFL cert.

Apply with some recruiters without one and see what happens? They only thing I would consider is timing. Academic year starts in March in Korea, thats when you are likely to find a better postion in my opinion. There are more positions available anyway and you won't be dropped into classes in the middle of semester :)
Tiger
Rising Star

Unread post by Tiger »

May I ask why you don't contact hagwons and universities directly with your resume? Your experience and degree will buy you a lot of consideration but if I were you, I would not tell them you are already in Korea or they will low-ball on the salary.
I suggest every TEFL teacher take a visit to https://reddit.com/r/TEFLscams BEFORE they send off their resumes.
niiish

Unread post by niiish »

22englishsam wrote: 20 May 2021, 11:57 For context: I have taught EFL in Korea for 5 years :)

For Korea, tbh, if you want to work in a hagwon, you don't even really need a TEFL cert. You might be turned down for some jobs but I never actually finshed mine!! No school ever asked me about it. If you want one, do a cheap one.

If you want to go the EPIK route (EFL in Korean public schools) then you won't be accepted without a TEFL cert.

Apply with some recruiters without one and see what happens? They only thing I would consider is timing. Academic year starts in March in Korea, thats when you are likely to find a better position in my opinion. There are more positions available anyway and you won't be dropped into classes in the middle of semester :)

Thanks for your reply :). I'm not sure about going directly to recruiters, I will spend more time looking into it. A concern I have is that I don't have teaching experience. In my current role, while there is an element of training people (adults in my field of work) it's a small part of it. The last thing I would want to do is be mediocre when engaging with or teaching kids so I thought having some sort of training/gaining knowledge via a TEFL course would be beneficial.

I would like to make the move early next year (Jan-Mar) so there is time to explore TEFl certification options...
niiish

Unread post by niiish »

Tiger wrote: 20 May 2021, 19:07 May I ask why you don't contact hagwons and universities directly with your resume? Your experience and degree will buy you a lot of consideration but if I were you, I would not tell them you are already in Korea or they will low-ball on the salary.

Thanks for your reply :). I'm not 100% comfortable with going directly to recruiters, I need to spend more time looking into it I guess. I don't have teaching experience so I thought having some sort of training/gaining knowledge via a TEFL course/using an agency like Greenheart for guidance/support would be beneficial (see my other reply in this thread). I'm not in Korea yet, I would like to make the move next year (Jan-Mar).
22englishsam

Unread post by 22englishsam »

The last thing I would want to do is be mediocre when engaging with or teaching kids so I thought having some sort of training/gaining knowledge via a TEFL course would be beneficial.
Totally understandable. I had similar concerns before I started!

I don't think the TEFL really gives you that though. If you are thinking about teaching kids (which is most likely in Korea), then I think being good with kids/experience talking to kids is the most important thing.
Honestly ask yourself "can I talk to kids?' "am I willing to be silly/goofy" "can I be fun and authoritative?" I think teaching EFL, especially with kids/teenagers is about your personality.

From what I have heard from people with more experience than me is that TEFL's are the same everywhere so don't spend too much money on it!

Happy to give you advice or tips anytime :)
ashvaganda

Unread post by ashvaganda »

TEFL Certification:

Since you're not yet TEFL certified, obtaining this certification is a crucial step. Many programs, like Greenheart Travel, offer TEFL courses. When choosing a TEFL course, ensure it's internationally recognized and includes at least 100 hours of coursework and practical training.
Online vs. In-Person: Consider whether you prefer an online course for flexibility or an in-person course for more hands-on experience.
Researching Programs:

Greenheart Travel is one of many organizations that facilitate TEFL placements in South Korea. It's good to hear feedback from others who have used their services, so consider looking for reviews or reaching out to past participants.
Other popular programs include EPIK (English Program in Korea), which is a government-sponsored program, and hagwons (private language academies in South Korea). Each has its own application process and benefits.
Visa Requirements:

As a British citizen with a bachelor's degree, you meet two key requirements
Learning Korean:

While
Online Communities and Forums:

Websites like Dave’s ESL Cafe (eslcafe.com) and Reddit (subreddits like r/TEFL) can be valuable resources for connecting with other TEFL teachers and getting advice.
Step-by-Step Guides:

Websites like Go Overseas (gooverseas.com) and GoAbroad (goabroad.com) offer guides and articles about teaching abroad, including specifics about South Korea.
The TEFL Academy, Oxford Seminars, and International TEFL Academy also provide resources and guides, which can be useful even if you don't enroll in their courses.
Cultural Preparation:

Understanding Korean culture and workplace etiquette is crucial. Books, travel guides, and cultural blogs can be great resources.