Considering Online TEFL Certificate

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Raftar

Considering Online TEFL Certificate

Unread post by Raftar »

HI all

Wondering if any one could give me some help and advice.

Im moving to Turkey, Kusadasi in november and have been looking into doing the 120 hours online TEFL course, I currently work at Blackpool college in Learning Support, I do not have a degree but do have a HND in Business Management and experience with working with students doing in class support.

Could anybody tell me if the online TEFL courses are any good and if the certificate would help me find work teaching English without a degree in Turkey, I have read on other forums that some Turkish schools will take you on with only the TEFL cert, could any body add to this or maybe recommend another course that might be suitable.

Many thanks.
Atlas
Rising Star

Re: Considering Online TEFL Certificate

Unread post by Atlas »

My friend, you would learn a helluva lot more if you can attend an in-class TEFL course if you are near a university that is not closed by the COVID shut-downs. Nothing compares to a active two-way dialogue with trainers when learning to teach. Learning the material and methods are easy, but the presentation skills and personal critiques are essential imo. Since you are not leaving until next November you have enough time to hunt down such a quality course. What city are you in and I will help you hunt down the nearest ones. Most of the online courses make you watch video after video or click your way through and automated course with barely any live trainer contact. They offer some convenience it's true, but for me at least the content is not high quality. Just my opinion mind you. This should help you: https://www.docdroid.net/kRwv0oN/ctablacklist2020-pdf
Look Before You Leap at https://reddit.com/r/teflscams
TheNightBeak
Rising Star

Re: Considering Online TEFL Certificate

Unread post by TheNightBeak »

Raftar wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 21:15 Could anybody tell me if the online TEFL courses are any good and if the certificate would help me find work teaching English without a degree in Turkey, I have read on other forums that some Turkish schools will take you on with only the TEFL cert, could any body add to this or maybe recommend another course that might be suitable.
Face to face is always better, but I appreciate that isn't easy right now.

The quality of online TEFL courses varies enormously. Check the review sites. Most courses are at least adequate (i.e. they'll help you find work), but of course they're all businesses and want your money and that's quite obviously their priority. i-to-i seem to do a good job, but the Cambridge CELTA and Trinity TESOL are still the gold standard.

If you've definitely decided on going to Turkey then have you considered moving there first and THEN doing a course there? It might be cheaper and it might provide you with pointers for work there once you've graduated.