Training for Business teaching? CELTAs nr Portsmouth??

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

lera0226

Re: Training for Business teaching? CELTAs nr Portsmouth??

Unread post by lera0226 »

Hello, I was doing import related business for 20 year and decided to begin teaching as a tutor privately 7 years ago. I graduated Linguistics university as a translator of English and Japanese in late 1990s.
I planned to teach only business English like you but my 95% of my clients turns to be the age of 5-25. Last year I graduated celta because I had thought it would help me. It helped me but it was not even 90% what I expected to gain. But it made me look wider.
As for celta it was harsh for me and I would say I spent time and money unwisely there. If I had returned back I would have read some books issued by celta teachers and finished a tefl or tkt course.
johnmaidment

Unread post by johnmaidment »

I don't believe that teaching without first completing a teaching qualification is recommended, especially if you care about the quality of your lessons and the learner experience.

The CELTA may seem expensive but, from my experience, was a valuable insight into how to focus on aims and objectives, planning appropriately, all the while considering the learner experience. It also gave invaluable practical experience in tackling the delivery of a lesson on a topic/element of language that I hadn't chosen, i.e. they were challenging, but it taught me a lot about how to approach such topics in the future and how to plan for when the approach doesn't work and the lesson seems to be falling apart!! 😉😉

Just because we may be native speakers does not infer any special ability to teach our native tongue, effective teaching skills are like any other "tools of the trade" that we learn in other professions.

For context, by the way, I also had a long career in business and IT before transitioning into teaching ....... And my students love that when we talk about business, it's an authentic conversation.
lera0226

Unread post by lera0226 »

Good luck, if you are aware of everything and write back a lot of.