Can I get a job in Europe with US teacher cert combined with online TEFL cert?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

AndrwK

Can I get a job in Europe with US teacher cert combined with online TEFL cert?

Unread post by AndrwK »

Hi,

I'm looking for a TEFL job in Europe in the next couple years. It looks like most people recommend a CELTA or Trinity for those jobs. Those are a bit out of my price range, so I was looking online (I was thinking I to I or TEFL Academy, both of which offer Level 5, 160 hour courses).

If I have teacher certification in the US, and 6 years of classroom experience (5 years ELA, 1 year ESL) and several years of ESL volunteer experience, what are my chances of getting hired in Europe with those qualifications and an online TEFL certificate?
kdammers
Rising Star

Re: Can I get a job in Europe with US teacher cert combined with online TEFL cert?

Unread post by kdammers »

Kasey:

The OP has (or will have when applying) US certification as well experience. And s/he is asking about Europe. I would say that the OP has nigh-on perfect qualifications. The only issues would be legal ones (probably less of a problem with Brexit) and age.
AndrwK

Re: Can I get a job in Europe with US teacher cert combined with online TEFL cert?

Unread post by AndrwK »

kdammers wrote: 25 May 2020, 12:45 Kasey:

The OP has (or will have when applying) US certification as well experience. And s/he is asking about Europe. I would say that the OP has nigh-on perfect qualifications. The only issues would be legal ones (probably less of a problem with Brexit) and age.
That's encouraging. Thanks!

I decided to go with an online course. It's giving me some new information (and some old... I've been making lesson plans for a long time now). And it'll give me that piece of paper.