Can I get a job in Europe with US teacher cert combined with online TEFL cert?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

AndrwK

Can I get a job in Europe with US teacher cert combined with online TEFL cert?

Unread post by AndrwK » 07 Apr 2020, 17:27

Hi,

I'm looking for a TEFL job in Europe in the next couple years. It looks like most people recommend a CELTA or Trinity for those jobs. Those are a bit out of my price range, so I was looking online (I was thinking I to I or TEFL Academy, both of which offer Level 5, 160 hour courses).

If I have teacher certification in the US, and 6 years of classroom experience (5 years ELA, 1 year ESL) and several years of ESL volunteer experience, what are my chances of getting hired in Europe with those qualifications and an online TEFL certificate?

Kasey00

Re: Can I get a job in Europe with US teacher cert combined with online TEFL cert?

Unread post by Kasey00 » 24 May 2020, 18:53

If you don't have a teaching license and are seeking an overseas teaching job, you should have both a bachelor's degree and a TEFL certificate https://scrabblewordfinder.vip/. With these under your belt, you may be lucky enough to find ESL teaching jobs in countries such as China, Japan, and Korea.
Last edited by Kasey00 on 31 Jul 2020, 09:27, edited 2 times in total.

kdammers
Rising Star

Re: Can I get a job in Europe with US teacher cert combined with online TEFL cert?

Unread post by kdammers » 25 May 2020, 12:45

Kasey:

The OP has (or will have when applying) US certification as well experience. And s/he is asking about Europe. I would say that the OP has nigh-on perfect qualifications. The only issues would be legal ones (probably less of a problem with Brexit) and age.

AndrwK

Unread post by AndrwK » 26 May 2020, 01:49

kdammers wrote:
25 May 2020, 12:45
Kasey:

The OP has (or will have when applying) US certification as well experience. And s/he is asking about Europe. I would say that the OP has nigh-on perfect qualifications. The only issues would be legal ones (probably less of a problem with Brexit) and age.
That's encouraging. Thanks!

I decided to go with an online course. It's giving me some new information (and some old... I've been making lesson plans for a long time now). And it'll give me that piece of paper.