Questions about CELTA

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

The Turk

Questions about CELTA

Unread post by The Turk »

Ok so here's my situation. I'm currently doing a 120 hr TEFL course but I'm wondering what I should do after completing the course. I'd like to teach abroad someday but I'd prefer to start by teaching in the UK and with that in mind I have a few questions I hope someone can answer:

1) Do I need to do a CELTA course to be able to teach in the UK?

2) Do I need a degree to be able to teach in the UK or even to do a CELTA course?

3) Do I need to get some TEFL teaching experience before I'm allowed to do a CELTA?

Thanks in advance
Firefox

Re: Questions about CELTA

Unread post by Firefox »

Assuming you are a UK citizen, then visas and work permits don't come into it.

One reason most schools around the world ask for a degree is because the relevant government insists on that to get a work permit. So a degree would not be a legal requirement for you in the UK.

A CELTA is a KIND of TEFL certificate.

So...

1) Most schools would require at least a TEFL certificate (which could be but may not have to be a CELTA - depends on the school).

2) As mentioned, you would not need a degree by law though some schools might require it. Some TEFL course providers require a degree before registering, but not all and there are many exceptions even for those that say they do.

3) No

In general, however, note that it's more difficult to get TEFL work in the UK and standards are higher. The easiest work to get is probably summer camp courses etc.

You might find this helpful:
The Definitive Guide to TEFL
though admittedly it's not specifically for the UK
The Turk

Unread post by The Turk »

Thanks for the reply. That was very useful! And yes, I am a UK citizen.

I have one more supplementary question. Is it worth doing the online version of the CELTA course or would I be better off just doing the regular classroom version?
Firefox

Unread post by Firefox »

In general the regular course is always going to be better than the online, albeit I believe that any online course put together by CELTA (Cambridge) must be pretty good. The regular course is usually something like 4 weeks and pretty intensive. Just in terms of getting it over with and personal motivation, I'd go for the regular myself.