Hello New Member New Questions.

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Adamuk

Hello New Member New Questions.

Unread post by Adamuk »

Hello everyone

I am new to this site and would like to introduce myself, I'm Adam 45 this year and I am thinking about embarking on a new challenge in my life, with the potential to train and work abroad. I currently am a Manager looking after special needs young adults, and have been in the same job for coming up 15 years. I have been looking into doing a TEFL course but it seems a bit of a minefield at best, I have no degree so I believe this is the beat way forward for me?

I am slightly concerned about my eligibility, as although I obviously have a current DBS check in my youth I was a slightly different person, and have a few things on my DBS like a drug offence and petty theft offences, this was over 25 years ago, and although I have never had a problem in the UK with these, I was wondering how it will be seen abroad, applying for visas and getting work etc?

Any thoughts on this would be most welcomed, and I enjoy reading the many excellent pages on this Forum.

All the best.

Adam
John V55
Top Contributor

Re: Hello New Member New Questions.

Unread post by John V55 »

Hi Adam,

At the age of 45 I’m glad you said a ‘challenge’ and not a career. At that age, with no degree or experience, you’ll be passing through. Let’s briefly take you through it.

What goes against you most is no degree. First, yes you’ll find work but it will be at the bottom end of TEFL in private schools, with a grueling schedule and bottom end salary to match.

Second, the other important point to mention is a criminal conviction, no matter how long ago or what for. If you can’t hide them don’t even mention them, not that you’ll likely be asked about a Criminal Records check at that level of TEFL and without a degree. Haven’t they been wiped clean by now on a standard DBS check? Do not mention you have any previous convictions under any circumstances, no matter how small to anyone on employment, or visa applications.

Third, doing a TEFL course is easier and a lot cheaper outside the UK and don’t bother with promises who it’s certified by because no one is interested as long as you have one.

My advice is if you have a good job already, at your age and with no degree don’t bother. If it’s just taking a year out for the experience that’s fine. Most just come east, do the TEFL, find a school and away you go.
Mrdaudiqbal
Rising Star

Re: Hello New Member New Questions.

Unread post by Mrdaudiqbal »

What type of side business a teacher can start related to education field ?