TEFLA certificate - equivalent to CELTA?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Marilyn

TEFLA certificate - equivalent to CELTA?

Unread post by Marilyn »

I have a RSA Certificate for the Teaching of English as a Foreign Language to Adults, University of Cambridge. Today, a job application was rejected because I was told they required a CELTA or Trinity TESOL qualification. I got my TEFLA certificate in 1988, and I was sure that that the next advanced qualification would be a diploma, over a year. As far as I can see, my TEFLA certificate is equivalent to the CELTA - it was a one month extremely intensive course - literally not even time to get enough sleep. We did teaching practice as part of the course - giving classes to overseas students. And the course was expensive. This is the first I've heard of an equivalent qualification holding more value.
Joe
Admin

Re: TEFLA certificate - equivalent to CELTA?

Unread post by Joe »

The RSA TEFLA Certificate was the precursor to the CELTA and its equivalent.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

Have you tried contacting Cambridge to confirm this?
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Marilyn

Unread post by Marilyn »

Thank you - that's a good idea.
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

There appears to be a single solitary reference on the official Cambridge CELTA pages:
Many readers of Research Notes will have memories of taking the Cambridge ESOL Certificate in English Language Teaching for Adults (CELTA) qualification or one of its forebears such as the RSA Cert TEFLA.
This is to be found on page 7 of the following PDF document:
https://www.cambridgeenglish.org/Images ... tes-19.pdf