Further Education After Online TEFL Course

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Terrafora

Further Education After Online TEFL Course

Unread post by Terrafora »

Hello all,

First time poster here. Towards the back end of last year I finally graduated university (with a BA in Japanese and film) and picked up a 140 hour online TEFL course the summer prior from TEFL Cambridge which I finished with a distinction. I'm starting to apply to ALT and EFL jobs in Japan now but I'm not sure how my certification is viewed by employers, especially as I have no in classroom experience of teaching.

What I wanted to ask is, from another's point of view, how much of an issue is my lack of experience to employers in Japan (or other places around the world) when I have the theory down and a certification to prove it?

The other question I'd like to ask is, what would be a good next step in terms of further training?
I'm currently on a bit of a budget and would rather avoid spending more money on courses (particularly online ones) if they're not actually going to make me more employable for the moment, and I currently don't have the money to take on a CELTA course.

Thank you all in advance for your feedback.
kdammers
Rising Star

Re: Further Education After Online TEFL Course

Unread post by kdammers »

I recommend that you look for volunteer opportunities at home. Not only will this count as experience on your resume, it will give you a real taste of teaching and a chance to apply what you have learned in your courses.