Grammar course for teachers?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

mogsta

Grammar course for teachers?

Unread post by mogsta »

Greetings all...

I've just completed my first week as an ESL teacher in Siberia. This is a career change for me, and though I'm a native speaker of English (I'm from Australia), I have no formal training in teaching. I'm nervous about the fact that I don't have a very good grasp on grammar rules and concepts.

It worries me that some of my Russian students probably know the rules better than I (although they still make a lot of mistakes). Sometimes I come unstuck in my lessons trying to explain, for example, the difference between the tenses (past/present simple, continuous etc).

Can anybody point me towards some excellent material to help me fast-track my knowledge of rudimentary grammar rules? Maybe an online course or eBook?

Thanks!
Joe
Admin

Re: Grammar course for teachers?

Unread post by Joe »

"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

Raymond Murphy has a series of grammar books for students. Also good for teachers. They're very comprehensive and quick and easy to read.
Briona
Top Contributor

Unread post by Briona »

Hi there,

You could try Cambridge's Grammar for Teachers course (https://www.cambridgeenglishteacher.org ... ails/18606). You pay around €30 for it, and from what I've heard, it's a great course. I've got no personal experience of it though.

Briona
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
Mrdaudiqbal
Rising Star

Unread post by Mrdaudiqbal »

The same problem i am facing ..but remember practice makes a man perfect .
Mrdaudiqbal
Rising Star

I am learning from local book but i think it isnt enough
Svh

Unread post by Svh »

Try looking on COURSERA where there are lots of English courses listed. In particular the University of California(Irvine) have some terrific grammar courses - mainly intended for students - that explain a lot of grammatical usage. You can either pay for the course if you want a certificate but you can follow for free. Lots of examples, quizzes etc. I would highly recommend them
Mrdaudiqbal
Rising Star

Yes coursera is also a good option to lewrn english