What happens if you're late to a TEFL class?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

jason13th

What happens if you're late to a TEFL class?

Unread post by jason13th »

Hello peeps,

I'm looking to enroll in a TEFL course next month here in the UK, a 20-hour weekend course, 9am to 7pm. I live quite far from this place and need to take the train, as I have no other transportation. The train on Sunday runs from 8am, and I will get to the destination about 30-40 minutes late.

Was wonder what happens if you miss one hour of class?
Do they deduct points or you get a lower score? Or not get your certificate at all?

Thanks
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: What happens if you're late to a TEFL class?

Unread post by Susan »

Can't you look into car-pooling or other ways of arriving on time. Maybe ask the course provider if there are other students enrolled who live near you.
jason13th

Susan wrote:Can't you look into car-pooling or other ways of arriving on time. Maybe ask the course provider if there are other students enrolled who live near you.
I don't think that'll work, I find it strange to ask someone I don't know for a ride,
plus I have trust issues.
Anyway, I'll ask the tutor if it's ok to arrive a little bit late.

Thanks anyway.
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

Good idea. Hope it works.
jason13th

I finished my 20-hour TEFL course a few weeks ago.. wasn't that difficult, and not what I expected.

There was around 20 students total, including myself.
It was supposed to be a 9am to 7pm class on both days, but it ended up being around 6 and a half hours on Saturday, and around 6 hours on the last day.

Saturday:
There were 2+ hour breaks on the first day, and a lot of waiting around; the teacher held the class up because some students were late coming back from their afternoon lunch breaks. At the start of the class we were given a timetable on what we were going to learn, but he ended up dropping some of the subjects.

Sunday:
Again, another 2+ hour break throughout the day - two 30 mins, and one hour lunch break, plus waiting around for other students. The teacher left the classroom for about 45 mins when we all came back from our lunch because we were planning our presentations.. a lot of walking in and out of the classroom.
We ended the day one hour early.. funny thing, on guy was one hour late to class on the first day, and he left two hours early on the final day. He still got the certificate.

So anyone worried about the TEFL course, don't sweat it. Whether you're late to class or want to go home early on the last day, you'll still get the 20-hour TEFL certificate lol