CELTA vs online TEFL?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Gyopojojo

CELTA vs online TEFL?

Unread post by Gyopojojo »

Hi,

after reading through the topics I haven't found a definitive answer to this question. Most people here seem to have done a 100+ hour TEFL course and get by fine, others have said that CELTA is the way to go. So which would you recommend a non native English speaker looking to work in Asia?

On a side note, I found this in a wiki article referring to study credits awarded to "CELTA done as part of a TEFL course unit". This has doubly confused me...

I'm looking to enroll as soon as possible so I would be grateful for any response. Thanks!
Gyopojojo

Re: CELTA vs online TEFL?

Ah I posted this in General teacher discussion, no wonder I couldn't find it! And I'm really sorry because now I see that there are many more posts regarding this subject, ugh.

As far as my post is concerned I just wanted to specify that I am hesitating between attending a CELTA course in the UK and the online TEFL course through Toronto University. The latter is connected to Teachaway, about which I have heard positive comments.
I would also like to add that I am a 40-yr-old Korean adoptee, looking to work in Korea. If anyone with the same background has any experiences to share, then please do!
Gyopojojo

Re: CELTA vs online TEFL?

You can remove this post thanks! Am now researching several CELTA possibilities.