Doing Delta modules 1 and 3 independently with no course

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

rachelb

Doing Delta modules 1 and 3 independently with no course

Unread post by rachelb »

Hello again,

I am still weighing up the options before deciding how to go about getting the Cambridge Delta. My latest bright idea is to do modules 1 and 3 without enrolling on any kind of course at all, but instead to do them entirely through self-study and then take the exam / submit the Extended Assignment through an open centre. My plan would be to do the Module 1 exam this June, do Module 2 via Bell's blended course from September --> November, and in the meantime be working on the Module 3 assignment to submit in December. Is this crazy talk or could it be doable?

My motivation is not primarily financial. I'd ideally like to complete the Delta this year, but I left it too late to apply for distance courses (my preferred way to study - an intensive or part-time course does not appeal, for various reasons) that began in January/February/March time. I would be more than happy to pay to do a course if it was really worth it, but I am wondering if it actually would be.

So, my questions are these. Apart from having the benefit of a structured programme, online tutor support and the opportunity to interact with other students, what does doing a course offer that independent study doesn't? Are the kind of materials provided, particularly for Module 1, such an invaluable resource that they can't be substituted through self-study materials? Are the items on this reading list, links to journals included http://thedistancedelta.com/howitworks/books.aspx, enough to get me through Module 1 or are there any glaring omissions? By the way, I have library access to all the books on there, so getting my hands on resources would not be a problem.

Personal background that might be relevant: I have 7 years of experience in teaching, so I have already accumulated quite a bit of practical and theoretical knowledge along the way. I would be teaching at the same time, so I could experiment with various approaches and materials to see their practical application, as the handbook suggests. Finally, I am generally pretty good at studying and being self-motivated when I really have to be!

Sorry for the very long post, and thanks in advance for any responses.
rachelb

Re: Doing Delta modules 1 and 3 independently with no course

Unread post by rachelb »

Well, in answer to my own, overlong question: yes, it is possible to prepare for and pass Delta M1 (with Distinction btw) all on one's lonesome in 10 weeks, as long as one has access to resources and past papers and studies like a demon.
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

It sounds as if you passed. Congratulations!
cjcourts

Unread post by cjcourts »

Hi Rachel, I came across your post whilst looking for an answer as to whether or not it was possible to do it independently! Congratulations on your distinction, what an inspiration! I want to do the same in September hopefully. I wondered whether or not it was easy to get hold of the past papers?
Geoffrey4

Unread post by Geoffrey4 »

I did mine at Oxford House College in London.
Looking back, I could have read all the books and understood the course by reading online.
Was great to meet my classmates, but the pass rate was very low.
Most of us felt that the instruction we received was helpful at points, but unhelpful largely and even worse, confusing.

I'd recommend studying one module at a time. Do all of the reading and note taking for module 1 over six months, take the test, then apply all of that to your Module 2 essays and observations, then Module 3 will be a breeze. We were doing all three at once and it was unnecessarily stressful, largely due to the conflicting needs of the modules and the timing of all 3 exams, a 2 week period!

I've heard IH and UCL are good as they break things up nicely and make the expectations of the course very clear.
Geoffrey4

Unread post by Geoffrey4 »

I'd do it independently.
footballmad

Unread post by footballmad »

I did my Mods 1 and 3 with Distance Delta. As I have no academic background and am no spring chicken, I needed all the tutor guidance I could get. Frankly, I don't think classroom experience alone is always good enough as a solid base ( I had about 6 years) - the Delta was a huge wake-up call for me !
gopnik

Unread post by gopnik »

I managed to pass M1 with Merit without following a course. It is perfectly doable if you are disciplined and don't mind studying on your own.

First of all, you have to read quite a few books in order to prepare for the exam. Your tutor can't do that for you.

It is also extremely valuable to understand how you should answer each task. You can get the information from past papers which include a lot of clear examples.

There are tons of free resources available online. A course can certainly point you in the right direction but if you want to save money, you can find all you need by yourself.
HomebasedTch

Unread post by HomebasedTch »

Whatever just go for it
English is the bridge to connect the world,the internet has made the world a global village,Teacher Record is using English and internet to help teachers and schools find each other and work together to make a better global village.Online schools&Domestic schools are available.For further information,please visit https://www.teacherrecord.com/job
carolnelson

Unread post by carolnelson »

footballmad wrote: 15 Feb 2015, 21:35 I did my Mods 1 and 3 with Distance Delta. As I have no academic background and am no spring chicken, I needed all the tutor guidance I could get. Frankly, I don't think classroom experience alone is always good enough as a solid base ( I had about 6 years) - the Delta was a huge wake-up call for me !
gopnik wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 03:00 I managed to pass M1 with Merit without following a course. It is perfectly doable if you are disciplined and don't mind studying on your own.

First of all, you have to read quite a few books in order to prepare for the exam. Your tutor can't do that for you.

It is also extremely valuable to understand how you should answer each task. You can get the information from past papers which include a lot of clear examples.

There are tons of free resources available online. A course can certainly point you in the right direction but if you want to save money, you can find all you need by yourself.
Hello, how much time did you allow yourself for module 1 ?
yoopea

Unread post by yoopea »

Please help :?

I want to do the same thing, but I've been stuck abroad since Covid and I'm not sure how to even go about registering for the test since I don't have a school to do so for me.

Someone point me in the right direction, please!
tc88

Unread post by tc88 »

Hi yoopea!

I've been playing with the idea of taking the DELTA exam and have dipped in and out of the books, but I know that if I really want to do it I NEED a study partner or study group, I know I can't do it alone and I'm not currently thinking of joining an academy. If you are interested in talking more about it, do get in touch! Would love to chat about whether or not this is could be a way forward.

:D
TheNightBeak
Rising Star

Unread post by TheNightBeak »

Doesn't it help if you're actually teaching to do M3? Choosing students for individual profiles, or testing a short-term syllabus?

I'm asking because I already have M1 and M2.
sianonion

Unread post by sianonion »

@tc88 I'd be interested in studying with someone, too. Let me know if you're still interested!
Karina84

Unread post by Karina84 »

Hi, I’m thinking about taking the DELTA too and I’ll definitely need a study partner. Can we write our emails here? I’m new and I don’t know if the site allows it…