Very Confused

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Posts: 2
Joined: 02 Jan 2013, 19:49
Status: Prospective Teacher

Very Confused

Unread post by stevesutton » 12 Jan 2013, 08:59

Can anyone recommend which course would be most suitable to qualify me for work in Vietnam, I do not hold a degree so would the CELTA give me more credibility rather than just a standard Tefl qualification,

I was also looking at taking the itoi internship does anyone know if the company is credible or just another quick buck company

Many Thanks


User avatar
Posts: 174
Joined: 15 Dec 2010, 08:53
Status: Other

Re: Very Confused

Unread post by Joe » 14 Jan 2013, 12:56

Generally speaking, the CELTA is the most highly regarded and widely recognised TEFL certificate available and will certainly add credibility.

However, you should check whether you need a degree for teaching English legally in Vietnam. In countries that require a degree, the requirement usually comes from the government as part of the work permit application rather than from the employer. I'm not sure of the position in Vietnam though I do believe a degree (probably in any subject) is required.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven

Posts: 5
Joined: 11 Jan 2013, 17:21
Status: Teacher

Re: Very Confused

Unread post by JulieJohnson » 16 Jan 2013, 16:45

Hi Steve,

I'm a big fan of the CELTA because I feel it covers all skills and practise bases for the beginning teacher but now there are courses which are just as good and equal in all those outcomes too. i-to-i does the EDI CertTEFL and Trinity does the CertTESOL so decide which fits your life commitments at the moment with regards to working online or on an intensive course etc.

Check the details of these courses - they may qualify as a type of further/higher education. That's certainly not to say that if a country foreign working requirements clearly states a batchelor's degree is needed they will accept one of these certificates instead, but the phrasing may be wider than that?

And, yes, remember to double check the official government requirements rather than just what the school tells you.

I don't know about the legalities of Vietnam, I just knew some teachers who had a great time there! Good luck :)

Julie Johnson

Alex Case
Top Contributor
Posts: 539
Joined: 17 Aug 2007, 01:53
Status: Teacher

Re: Very Confused

Unread post by Alex Case » 16 Jan 2013, 20:29

Julie clearly has some connection to i-to-i, and you'd have to if you'd claim that any of their courses is as well respected as Cambridge CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL. Also, CELTA can now be done as a blended course.
TEFLtastic blog -

Posts: 5
Joined: 11 Jan 2013, 17:21
Status: Teacher

Re: Very Confused

Unread post by JulieJohnson » 17 Jan 2013, 20:57

Hi Alex and Steve,

For clarification, I wasn't suggesting that the i-to-i equivilant course is as 'well respected' as the CELTA and I didn't think that was overall premise of Steve's post, though it may be. I agree that when it comes to reputation the CELTA and Trinity CertTESOL come out on top because they are very well established in their respective regions and excellent. But when it comes to getting good training with solid outcomes is reputation always the most important thing? Perhaps for wider job opps, yes. That's exactly why I chose the CELTA four-week intensive and was very happy with it.

And indeed I stand corrected about the blended CELTA. Apologies - I'm out of date!

But Steve, if a degree really is required, none of the courses will suffice - they will just improve your chances of getting the jobs you want.

If you are looking at the specific i-to-i internship program for Vietnam by the way Steve, bear in mind the training doesn't include accreditation which may be important for you.

Just enjoy, Steve :)


Rising Star
Posts: 30
Joined: 26 Apr 2009, 17:56
Status: Teacher Trainer

Re: Very Confused

Unread post by kaithegreene » 18 Jan 2013, 09:30

I run the teacher training programme for a language school in Hanoi, so this question comes up a lot. Our HR department tell me that, in order to get a work permit, you must have a first degree. This is regardless of whether you are working full time or part time.

However, I also live here and I know a number of teachers, and other working ex-pats, who simply leave the country and return at regular intervals.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend behaving illegally anywhere because it can have consequences.

Post Reply