Which CELTA course in London??

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

pauljonnash

Which CELTA course in London??

Unread post by pauljonnash »

Hi there

I have read a few threads related to which CELTA course to take in London but none that seems to have helped me. I live in London and I'm looking at applying for a full time CELTA course this month but could really do with recommendations on which to apply based on people's experiences. So far I've whittled the courses down to:
- Language Link (which has some negative press on here)
- London South Morton
- London Queensway
- London Earls Court
- International House

I can't find any independent reviews, details on pass rates, rankings, future job opportunities in London (where I want to stay) based on chosen college anywhere, and also why Cactus does not recommend International House on their website which is surely highly regarded?!

Any help would be highly appreciated - thank you!

Paul

By the way - I'm English native with no previous teaching experience.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Which CELTA course in London??

Unread post by systematic »

Hi,
Unfortunately, although we often give tips here, people rarely report back with their experience after successfully completing a course. The consensus of opinion of the TEFL.net moderators however, is that CELTA is generally the same quality wherever you take it. Anything else that the course provider might be offering - including the quality of the carpets and cafeterias in his college, are secondary, and not subject to Cambridge scrutiny. Please check some very recent threads on the subject, especially concerning CELTA courses in LONDON, and let us know how you got on. Good luck.
jaihanne

Unread post by jaihanne »

Hi,
Just wondered which school you've decided to go for? As I am in a similar position and deciding between Stanton and Language Link? Any advice would be great:)
pepper

Unread post by pepper »

Hi

Same question really - I'm looking to apply to do a CELTA course full time in London and would be grateful for any recommendations. I can't afford International house at £1400. Most centres that seem good are in Zone 1 and I'm also looking at St Giles college with the Highgate centre.

Thanks
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

St Giles is generally good.
pepper

Unread post by pepper »

Thanks Alex. Another quick question - I can get my work to pay for a one off day grammer course before I emabark on a CELTA course. My understanding of grammer is poor - would you recommed going on a one day course to help? I can choose to do training workshop on a different subject matter related to my current job. My aim though is to brancj out into TEFL teaching.
Pepper
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Sure, can't hurt. Here are some more suggestions on preparing for a TEFL course.
pepper

Unread post by pepper »

Just as I'd decided on doing a CELTA at either Saxon court or Stanton college, I came across a webpage that suggested the TESOL Trinity as a preference because the course includes reference to teaching children and a greater focus on teaching practice and teaching spoken English. Would anyone agree and should this alter my decision to do a CELTA?
systematic
Top Contributor

Make sure that page is offering the genuine Trinty course - check with Trinity. I don't personally have any experience with the Trinity course, but it is the 'other' alternative to CELTA in terms of recognition.
pepper

Unread post by pepper »

Thanks for the advice alex and systematic. I think I'll be applying to do the trinity college TESOL at Bloomsbury International on the basis that they also include teaching young people and children which is something I'm interested in. I feel I'm switching sides from doing a CELTA to a TESOL! If anyone has any feedback on the school or Trinity College TESOL I'd be interested to hear.

By the way this has been a really useful site and forum so thank you!
systematic
Top Contributor

Thanks and good luck with your course. Please do consider coming back to TEFL.net to let us know how you got on. The Trinity is one course on which up to now we have very little feedback; your information would be of great interest to our readers.
idiomatic

NOT International House!

Unread post by idiomatic »

Hello,

I completed my Celta at International house London earlier this year and have been meaning to share my experience here.

Don't go to International House!! It was very overpriced at £1,408 and gave me NO extra credibility at all. The school is obsessed with money only, they even charge students to go to your lessons, which most schools will advertise for free.

The Celta trainers had no time at all to help you through the course, with planning or anything. A warning also that there are a couple of very unpleasant embittered trainers (although that could happen anywhere) It was a miserable 4 weeks I went through to be honest.

I can tell you that Tefl is not well paid - I would have been wiser to have saved £200-£300 and have gone somewhere else to get Exactly the same qualification.
minnieuk

Unread post by minnieuk »

I've just finished my CELTA at International House in London and my experience couldn't have been more different. Yes, it is expensive but so are a lot of other CELTA courses in London and you know that when you sign up.

Our trainers were fantastic - we had as much help as we needed (which varies from person to person obviously) and the lessons they gave were great models of how to teach. I felt very supported throughout the course. It's very, very hard work but I really enjoyed it - although I'm not sorry it's over now as it really wears you out.

The students only pay £2 a day - I really don't think anyone can complain about that. It is just a small financial incentive to keep turning up every day once they've booked on the course. Most of them said they were doing the course because it was so cheap.

I would recommend IH without any reservation at all.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Although I'm not taking that criticism of International House very seriously either, I would agree that it is a bit overpriced. If you are in or near London or happy to move there for the course, I would choose which CELTA course to take from a combination of the price, dates and location and ignore how famous the school is. I did mine at about as obscure a London language school as you can find and it has done me no harm at all. Also, people being price sensitive will help keep the prices down for everyone else!
thedoctor

Unread post by thedoctor »

Be warned stay out of International House, London for all the reasons idiomatic has listed, and plenty more. You have been warned!!!
nortski

Unread post by nortski »

Blimey, I don't think I'll be applying to International House any time soon! EEK