pre-course interview: Trinity TESOL/ Cambridge CELTA

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

HumourIsKey

pre-course interview: Trinity TESOL/ Cambridge CELTA

Unread post by HumourIsKey »

Hi there,

I'm a new user and have been on here for a few hours now and soooooo many of my questions have been answered already, so thank you for that already!

However, for the sake of my current circumstance, and upon noticing that there aren't any posts out there asking about this already so may be of help to others on the forum, I thought I would ask the question.

After completing the online application forms for the CELTA or Trinity course, which asks grammar questions, class room scenario questions, personal passions, etc, you get invited in for a pre-course interview, and after that the course give you a 'yay' or 'nay'.

My question is this: What is the format of these interviews?

...and what do they specifically ask during the interview? Is there a common format? How is one best to prepare for it?

My interview is next week at an establishment in Oxford that runs the Trinity TESOL course.

Help would be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks,
Jonny
LeProf

Re: pre-course interview: Trinity TESOL/ Cambridge CELTA

Unread post by LeProf »

Hi, your question is certainly valid! My organisation runs a non-Cambridge or Trinity course (I'm the course director), but we are validated by the old head of TEFL at Trinity through his organisation IATQUO, so maybe have some right to talk on the subject.

As far as I'm concerned, once the potential candidate has proved their potential aptitude for English language teaching through their CV and application letter, followed by a possible telephone call, the most important thing is for people to be themselves and show enthusiasm, dynamism and a willingness to learn.

Don't worry too much about your interview - if you have made it this far you are probably more than half way there and as long as you don't come across as a blithering idiot you'll be ok! Teaching is as much art as science!

Good luck,
Sab Will, Will Power English ;)