fresh out of college, i want to do this for a year

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

ruckus49

fresh out of college, i want to do this for a year

Unread post by ruckus49 »

Hey all,

Im 22 years old, just graduated from college with a communications degree. I'm looking to go abroad and teach english as a foreign language for a year. I definitely dont want to make a career out of this, I'm just looking at this as an adventure before I start a real career. I would like to teach in Latin America. Is it possible to teach there and not end up losing money overall? If so, what kind of certification do I need? I would like to get some actual physical teaching experience (not online bs) before I go and try to apply to these programs. where do I find somewhere I can get real teaching experience??

Thanks
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: fresh out of college, i want to do this for a year

Unread post by systematic »

Hi Ruckus

There are several 'real' courses, but read the ads or their websites VERY carefully first because they may be just offering 'pay to-work' schemes, or they might be tour operators in disguise.
The two most widely known courses are the Trinity cert. and the Cambridge University CELTA. Check them out on the internet and for institutes that offer them. Check out this blog TESOL Scam Warning. Beware particularly of organisations that claim to be the largest worldwide, or that use the word international in their name. Closer examination of some institutes will reveal also that some are just one, which makes itself look big by publishing dozens of worldwide web sites for fictitious branches.
Thailand appears to be the epicentre of TESOL course scams - check out latest reports on this Thai TESOL forum.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.