The real scoop on CELTA

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

goyalmanik22

Re: The real scoop on CELTA

Unread post by goyalmanik22 »

I'm sorry you (appear to) have had a negative experience - perhaps a short period of quiet reflection would help you to find your way past this and consider whether you contributed to it in any way, and how best to avoid such negativity in the future.
nadenza

Unread post by nadenza »

Hi, I'm new to the hole Teaching English environment, I have 22 years of teaching, for Private Companies mainly Adults and Youth, have my own Private College in South Africa, that offers 12 months full International qualifications, registered with South African Qualification Authority (SAQA). I did 168 hours of TEFL, recently I was asked about CELTA and based on the information a lot of things changed with CELTA, face to face and CELTA online, my question will be is CELTA more excepted just because of real class interactions with students as per their teaching methodology's? My experience as a teacher methodologies can differ slightly based on target audience. What for me is mind boggling, CELTA runs an incense 1 month teaching session and carry more weight than TEFL and when it comes to certification hope I'm correct on this statement?. Is this because CELTA is Cambridge driven based on their methodology and grants a certificate? , where as TEFL only give you the hours? I'm really confuse, as it seems like the same stuff but there are different names with slightly different methodologies yet the learning outcomes are the same.

Cause at the moment I'm struggling finding a job on English Teaching abroad sites, and most counties like the EU only prefer EU nationals or passport holders. I feel so stuck and feel that maybe I waisted my time and money. Is there anyone out there that can give me guidance please.
MTE1369

Some Answers ... Not Gonna Be Popular Though

Unread post by MTE1369 »

Whether "we" like it or not, and whether willing to admit it or not, EU Countries ask for EU Passports for a variety of reasons, chief among them is that they do not have to worry about visas/work permit issues etc. But the real elephant in the room (and no one wants to openly address or acknowledge) remains the fact that far too many people from country ___ (you chose) see "TEFL" as nothing more than a way to get "around" legal immigration requirement and enter the EU (or any other country, and remain there, illegally. The other issue is the "Native Speaker" thing which again, no one will admit, but is driven by the fact that far too many "Native Speakers" are in fact NOT, (The Polish have frequently been burned by this... but people still get upset with their "insistence" on NATIVE SPEAKERS) but again see it as a way around legal immigration. I Know no one wants to hear or acknowledge but that's the way it is
Trishw

Unread post by Trishw »

I am also from South Africa and have just completed my L5 and was issued a certificate so cannot understand why you did not receive one. Firstly did you do your homework regarding accredited TEFL companies? Secondly I take it that English is not your native tongue as I am sorry to say I found so many grammatical errors, spelling mistakes and quite a few homophones in your post. I suggest you brush up on your skills and take some courses with accredited companies. I did my L5 with Premier TEFL, all courses are fully accredited and they are also an approved training centre with TQUK (Training Qualifications UK), an Ofqual-regulated Awarding Organisation. You can also take courses for free with TeachingEnglish | British Council | BBC www.teachingenglish.org.uk. Please note that I am using the British version of spelling as opposed to the American way of spelling - just in case someone else thinks that I cannot spell correctly either:) Good luck and I hope that we both succeed in acquiring a job as an online English tutor. I know I have some qualities of being a good teacher as I have passion, patience, empathy, good skills in listening and communication and a lifelong love of learning.