Is it necessary to plan lessons?

Discussion for anyone involved in admin

Moderator: Joe

Nigel
Rising Star

Is it necessary to plan lessons?

Unread post by Nigel »

Hi there,

I'm a new head teacher and a lot of my teachers think planning is not necessary.

What do you guys out there think? Should I make them plan?

Nigel
SMRT

Planning

Unread post by SMRT »

Dear Nigel,

what do you mean by planning? Do you mean writing individual detailed lesson plans for each lesson? Do you mean writing a scheme of work or each course? Or do you mean both?

Experienced teachers usually plan their lessons. They have their plan in their head. However, there are also some teachers who just go along with the book.If you have been teaching from a particular textbook for a number of years, it becomes routine. If this is the problem, scrap the use of textbooks in your school. No matter well intended, the textbook makes teachers lazy.

Maybe you should observe your teachers' lessons and give constructive feedback in their lesson planning. Organize a workshop on alternative ways of lesson planning. Invite your colleagues to your lessons. Demonstrate how to do it right!

Regards

SMRT
deezy

Lesson planning

Unread post by deezy »

Hi Nigel
A well planned lesson is a quality lesson. I have done two workshops on 'lesson planning' with my teachers, and the first thing I elicited from them is "why lesson plan?". I got them to tell me why it was important.

1. To have a structure, something to keep them on track.
2. If someone else has to take over their lesson, they are clear on what has been done, and what to do.
3. If they do the same lesson with a different group, or repeat the lesson, they have a lesson plan prepared.
4. Sharing. My teachers actually share their plans...reduces the workload.
5. To make sure that all elements are covered throughout the course: speaking, listening, reading, writing. Also to make sure that the methodology is varied, that all learning 'types' are addressed (auditory, visual, kinaesthetic, combination).
6. I also ask them to write a quick evaluation of the lesson afterwards...what went well, what they need to emphasise next time, etc.

I could go on! Each teacher has a folder for each class they take. The lesson plan goes on the top, with copies of supplementary materials underneath. Plus another copy of the supplementary material is put into a 'bank' - large files for different levels - for other teachers to access.

Some teachers do this well. Others don't. The quality lessons come from the teachers who do it!

Having said all that...I sometimes get them to NOT plan..to go into the class with no materials, either. We often find that some of our best lessons come out of our heads on the spur of the moment. But my teachers are inexperienced so this can be quite a challenge for them!

Working from 'just' coursebooks they may also lose their creativity but that's another topic!

cheers
Deezy
chrisw

Unread post by chrisw »

Every lesson should have a plan- that's a no brainer. If your teachers decide to just 'show up' and wing it without any kind of focus or lesson objectives - Fire them ASAP

However, I agree completely with sometimes doing a spur of the moment thing. A loose plan is what usually works for me
Chris Westergaard
The Language House
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

How teachers like that get through a job interview I will never know!